Chapter 17

Chapter 17: To the Garden You Confessed

As their meal came to a close, Victoria's eyes sparkled with excitement as she turned to Lucian. "Your Majesty, would you be so kind as to give me a tour of your magnificent palace? I am simply dying to see more of it."

Before Lucian could even consider rejecting the request, Victoria was already on her feet with her hand wrapped around his arm, pulling him up with her. "Come now, Your Majesty, there's no time to waste. I simply must see everything!"

Lucian tried to protest, but Victoria's determination was relentless as she led him out of the dining hall and into the grand corridors of the palace.

Despite his best efforts to remain composed, Lucian couldn't shake the feeling of unease that settled in the pit of his stomach. Victoria's insistence on exploring every corner of the palace only served to exacerbate his discomfort, and he silently prayed for the tour to come to an end.

But not until they wandered through the palace gardens where he always brought Isabel.

Lucian couldn't shake the feeling of discomfort that kept gnawing at him even more. With each step, he found himself hoping that Isabel wouldn't stumble upon them.

Unbeknownst to him, Isabel was nearby, hidden from view. All Isabel wanted for the moment was to have a breather after her long hours in the royal kitchen. But her heart sank as she watched the king and Princess Victoria stroll through the gardens together.

Isabel trembled.

Her hands clenched into fists at her sides, as a wave of emotions threatened to overwhelm her.

She couldn't tear her gaze away as she watched the princess cling to her lover's arm, a pang of jealousy coursing through her. It reminded her painfully of the divide between them, of the reality that she could never truly be with the man she loved.

'The king was never meant to be mine.', is what Isabel thought.

Despite the ache in her heart, Isabel remained silent. Her tears were unshed as she watched from the shadows. She knew that her place was not by the king's side, not when he was destined to marry a princess and secure the future of their kingdom. But deep inside her, she still wished to hear the words of Lucian even just a few lies to prove that he still want her beside him.

As Lucian and Princess Victoria disappeared from view, Isabel remained frozen in place. She knew that she couldn't compete with the princess's status or influence, and she couldn't bear the thought of being cast aside in favor of someone deemed more suitable.

With a heavy heart, Isabel turned away and retreated deeper into the shadows of the garden. Her footsteps were silent as she slipped away, determined to bury her feelings and focus on her duties for now.

That very night, Isabel made a difficult decision. She couldn't risk Princess Victoria seeing her in the bedchamber so close to the king's. If anyone realized the nature of her relationship with him, it could ruin his reputation and disrupt the delicate balance of palace politics. With a heavy heart, she gathered her belongings and quietly made her way to the palace maids' quarters, seeking refuge among her peers.

The room was simple and unadorned, which was opposite to the opulence of the chambers near the king's. Isabel found an empty bed and settled in while her mind racedwith thoughts of Lucian and the future. She wanted to protect him, even if it meant distancing herself.

As the palace fell silent and the hours of the night slipped away, Lucian grew restless. He couldn't shake the unease that had settled over him after a long day with Princess Victoria. He longed to see Isabel, to be with her and touch her. So when the castle finally quieted, he slipped from his chambers and moved through the darkened halls with practiced stealth.

Lucian finally made his way to Isabel's bedchamber, only to find it empty. Panic surged through him as his heart pounded in his chest.

Where could she be? He retraced his steps and checked the other rooms nearby, but there was no sign of her.

Determined not to give up, he thought of the palace maids' quarters. It was unlikely, but perhaps she had sought rest among her peers. Lucian moved quickly while keeping his footsteps silent on the stone floors. He reached the maids' quarters and carefully opened the door, peering inside.

There, in the dim light, he saw her. Isabel lay on a simple cot, her face peaceful in sleep. Relief washed over him, but it was quickly followed by different emotions—sadness, frustration, and a deep, unspoken yearning. He couldn't bear to see her relegated to such a place, away from him.

Quietly, he approached her bed and knelt beside it. His hand reached out to brush a strand of hair from her face. She stirred slightly and her eyes fluttered open.

"Isabel," he whispered, his voice barely audible. "Why are you here?"

Isabel blinked, the fog of sleep clearing from her mind. When she realized who was beside her, her eyes widened in shock. "Your Majesty," she gasped, immediately panicking. "You shouldn't be here."

She abruptly sat up, glancing around nervously to ensure no one else had woken up. She immediately grabbed his hand and whispered urgently, "We need to go. Now."

Without waiting for a response, Isabel dragged Lucian out of the maids' quarters. They moved swiftly and silently away from the possibility of being seen. Only when they reached a secluded corner of the palace did she finally stop, her breath coming in quick, shallow gasps.

"Isabel," Lucian began, but she cut him off.

"No, Your Majesty," she said, her voice shaking. "This is too dangerous. If anyone had seen you in there, it could have ruined everything."

He reached out, cupping her face in his hands. "Isabel, why did you leave your chambers?"

Tears welled up in her eyes as she looked into his earnest gaze. "I didn't want the princess to see me there and question why a simple maid was sleeping so close to the king. I couldn't bear the thought of causing you trouble."

Lucian's expression softened, and he pulled her into a gentle embrace. "You don't need to worry about that. What matters is that we stay together."