Chapter 19

Chapter 19: The food she makes

The next day, Princess Victoria woke early with her mind set on a particular mission. She wanted to surprise King Lucian with a breakfast she had prepared herself, hoping to impress him and solidify their budding relationship. She was dressed in a simple gown and determined to show her domestic side. She then made her way to the palace kitchen with a few attendants following her.

As she entered, the kitchen was quiet and seemed empty. She smiled, pleased that she would have the space to herself. But then she heard a soft clinking sound, like that of a spoon against a pot. It made her frown as she decided to follow the noise to its source, walking quietly through the large, ornate kitchen.

When she turned a corner, she was startled to see a palace maid with an apron on, standing at one of the stoves and carefully stirring a pot. The maid had golden hair and a serene, focused expression. It was Isabel.

"Excuse me," Victoria said, trying to keep her voice gentle but authoritative.

Isabel looked up, surprised. As soon as she recognized the princess, she immediately bowed deeply. "Your Highness," she greeted, her voice steady despite the ache in her heart.

Victoria took a step closer, her curiosity piqued. "You’re up early," she observed. "What are you cooking?"

Isabel straightened, forcing a polite smile. "I am preparing a special breakfast for the king, Your Highness."

Victoria's eyes narrowed slightly, but she kept her tone light. "Oh, I had the same idea. I wanted to prepare something special for him myself. I didn't expect anyone else to be here so early."

"I apologize, Your Highness," Isabel said quickly. "I didn't mean to intrude. I can step aside and let you—"

"No, no," Victoria interrupted, waving a hand dismissively. "There's no need for that. Perhaps we could work together."

Isabel's heart ached at the suggestion. The woman before her was the same one she had seen clinging to Lucian in the garden the previous day. But she nodded politely. "Of course, Your Highness. How may I assist you?"

Victoria stepped closer to inspect the pot Isabel was stirring. "What are you making?" she asked, trying to sound genuinely interested.

"A simple porridge, Your Highness," Isabel replied. "The king prefers it with honey and nuts in the morning."

Victoria smiled, though it didn’t quite reach her eyes. "Sounds delicious. Let’s prepare something to accompany it. How about some fresh fruit and pastries?"

"That sounds wonderful, Your Highness," Isabel agreed, moving to fetch the ingredients.

As they worked side by side, Victoria glanced at Isabel from time to time. There was something about the maid that intrigued her. She noticed the sadness in Isabel's eyes, even though she tried to hide it behind a mask of servitude and politeness.

"Tell me, what is your name?" Victoria asked suddenly.

"Isabel, Your Highness."

"Isabel," Victoria repeated, as if testing the name on her tongue. "How long have you been serving in the palace?"

"Not very long, Your Highness," Isabel answered. "Just a month and a few days."

Victoria nodded thoughtfully. "And do you enjoy it here?"

Isabel paused for a moment, her thoughts drifting to Lucian. "Yes, Your Highness," she said finally. "I do."

The conversation immediately stopped there and they continued working in silence for a while. Victoria couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to this maid than met the eye, but she decided to let it go for now.

When the breakfast was finally prepared, Victoria turned to Isabel with a smile. "Thank you for your help, Isabel. I appreciate it."

"It was my pleasure, Your Highness," Isabel replied, bowing again. "I hope the king enjoys his breakfast."

Victoria nodded and, with one last glance at Isabel, turned to leave the kitchen. Isabel watched her go. She knew her place, but that knowledge didn’t lessen the pain.

As Victoria walked away, she couldn’t help but feel a twinge of unease. There was something about Isabel that made her uneasy, but she pushed the feeling aside. She had a breakfast to deliver and a king to impress.

So Victoria carried the tray of food to the king's chambers. When she arrived, the royal guard at the door straightened and announced her presence with a light yell. "Your Majesty, Princess Victoria is here with your breakfast."

There was a brief silence before Lucian's voice came from within. "Let her in."

Victoria entered the room with a bright smile, trying to exude confidence and warmth. "Good morning, Your Majesty," she greeted, curtsying gracefully before placing the tray on the table.

Lucian sat up on the bed, looking tired and a bit disheveled, as if he hadn’t slept well. He forced a polite smile and got up to join her at the table. But as he saw the food plated in a familiar manner, his expression changed. He immediately looked at Victoria with suspicion.

"Who prepared this food?" he asked, his tone more demanding than curious.

Victoria blinked, taken aback by the abruptness of his question. "I—I prepared it," she stammered. "But a maid named Isabel assisted me."

Lucian's heart sank. He tried to hide his concern but couldn't help the frown that crossed his face. "I see," he spoke almost quietly. The familiar plating of the food reminded him of Isabel's meticulous care and attention. He hoped Isabel hadn’t been affected by seeing him with Victoria.

Victoria who sensed the shift in his mood, reached out to touch his arm. "Is something wrong, Your Majesty?"

Lucian shook his head, forcing a smile and shrugged off her hand. "No, everything is fine. Thank you for the breakfast, Princess Victoria."

But as they ate in silence, Lucian's thoughts remained with Isabel. Although he was happy to know Isabel still cared and made him food to eat,  he couldn’t shake the worry that she have been hurt by the events since the previous day.