Chapter 27

Chapter 27: To Hurt Her

The day after the royal wedding, Lucian did everything he could to see Isabel and check on her. He wandered through the palace with urgency with his mind consumed of thoughts of her. But just as he found Isabel, Victoria appeared, seemingly out of nowhere, doing her best to keep the king away from Isabel. It was as if she knew right from the start what was going on between the two.

"My love, where are you going?" Victoria asked in a slightly loud voice that drew the attention of almost all the palace maids, including Isabel, who was busy cleaning up the grounds.

Isabel turned to look, and Lucian's heart sank. He immediately tried to push Victoria away, but it was already too late. Isabel had already seen them so close together. But instead of seeing a pained expression on her face, Isabel only curtsied in respect, showing no emotion, not even a smile. She didn't even look him in the eye.

Lucian was taken aback by what he saw. After Isabel curtsied and stood back up, she immediately turned around and walked even further away from where she had been. It was obvious to Lucian that she did not want to be near him. His chest tightened as he watched her retreat.

Then, out of nowhere, Lucian shouted in an authoritative voice to stop Isabel in her tracks.

"Court Lady Isabel!" he called.

Everyone's eyes widened at the King's tone, and as he expected, it really did stop Isabel from going further away from his sight.

Isabel froze as her heart pounded in her chest. Slowly, she turned back to face Lucian, but kept her expression carefully neutral. "Yes, Your Majesty?" she responded, her voice steady but distant.

Lucian took a step forward, without caring for everyone's gaze on them. At that moment, he was so desperate. "Come here," he commanded. His voice left no room for argument.

Victoria's grip on his arm tightened, but Lucian ignored her as his focus was solely on Isabel. The crowd murmured softly, curiosity and tension were thick in the air. Isabel hesitated for a moment before reluctantly making her way back to the King.

When she stood before him, Lucian looked into her eyes, searching for any emotions he knew she was hiding. "Why did you leave without finishing your task?" he asked in his firm tone but laced with an underlying plea for her to stay.

Isabel's gaze remained fixed on a point just past his shoulder. "I thought it best to give Your Majesties some privacy," she replied while her voice remained devoid of emotion.

Lucian's frustration grew. He could see the walls she had built around herself, walls that he had unknowingly helped construct. "You are my lady-in-waiting, Isabel. Your duties include being by my side when I require it," he said, trying to maintain his authoritative demeanor.

Victoria's eyes narrowed as she watched the exchange, sensing the tension between them. "Is there a problem, my love?" she interjected, her voice dripping with deceitful sweetness.

Lucian ignored her while his focus remained unwavering. "Do you understand, Isabel?" he asked, his voice softening slightly, hoping to reach through the barriers she had put up.

Isabel finally met his gaze, her deep blue eyes betraying a flicker of the pain she felt. "Yes, Your Majesty," she replied quietly, her voice barely above a whisper.

Satisfied but still uneasy, Lucian nodded. "Good. Attend to me, keep your head down," he said, turning away to mask his own anger, seeing that Isabel had no intention to look him in the eyes.

Isabel obediently followed behind the king as his lady-in-waiting. He had managed to keep her close physically, but the emotional chasm between them had never felt wider. And as Victoria clung to his arm, Isabel could only clench her fists so tightly to divert her emotional pain physically.

As the royal couple walked around the grounds with only Isabel following as their attendant, Isabel's nails dug deeper into her palms while she lightly glanced over at the two.

She could not quite comprehend why Lucian would want her to watch, but then, he did something Isabel finally understood.

Lucian knew Isabel was watching and he wanted her to do something and plead for his attention just like she used to. And so Lucian took Victoria's hand as they stopped in their tracks and faced each other.

"My queen, would you like to have a peaceful chat with me in the garden? Maybe some tea and pastries you enjoy as well?"

Victoria was taken aback by the king's sudden invitation but managed to smile genuinely in happiness.

"Yes, My King. If it is with you, I would not ask for anything else." Victoria answered.

Lucian secretly smirked and turned to face Isabel.

"Well then, Court Lady Isabel. You heard the queen. Prepare a spot for us in the garden. I would like to enjoy my time with my 'wife'," he emphasized the word.

But Isabel kept her head down and just gave an obedient bow, turned, and walked away.

Lucian's eyes flickered with hope as he caught a glimpse of Isabel's teary eyes. He turned back to his queen with a satisfied smile.