Chapter 50

Chapter 50: Gone

Days passed into weeks, and while Lucian believed Isabel had been released from her cell, he endeavoured to avoid any encounters with her. Little did he know, Isabel had long departed from the palace.

Yet, each day, he found comfort in enjoying his favourite pastries, those Isabel used to make for him. Their presence gave him a sense of relief, allowing him to believe that Isabel harboured no ill will towards him.

As Victoria's belly grew and became visibly pronounced, Lucian redoubled his efforts to fulfil his duties as a husband. He wished for this ordeal to end swiftly, yearning to see Isabel once more.

Lucian groaned softly, rising from his seat to check on Victoria, who was with the royal physician for her monthly check-up. As he arrived at her bedchambers, he was greeted by Victoria's maidservants.

"Your Majesty," one of the maidservants curtsied, her voice respectful yet tinged with nervousness. "The Queen is with the physician. May I fetch her for you?"

Lucian nodded, his gaze drifting towards the door. "Please do."

A moment later, the door opened, and the royal physician emerged, bowing deeply. "Your Majesty," he greeted.

"How is she?" Lucian inquired sternly.

"The Queen is in good health, sire," the physician assured him. "The child grows strong."

Lucian nodded, a small weight lifting from his shoulders. "Thank you, doctor."

As the physician left, Victoria appeared in the doorway, her face radiant despite the weariness in her eyes. "My king," she said softly.

"Victoria," he responded, stepping forward to take her hand. "How are you feeling?"

She offered him a tired smile. "As well as can be expected, given the circumstances."

Lucian squeezed her hand gently, guiding her to a chair. "You must rest. The physician says all is well with the child."

Victoria nodded, lowering herself into the chair with a sigh. "Yes, I know."

While Lucian and Victoria conversed, a handmaiden appeared quietly, carrying a tray of pastries. The sweet aroma immediately reached Lucian's nose, and he knew at once that they were made by Isabel.

"You seem to have taken a liking to these pastries," Lucian remarked in pure amusement, unable to hide the hint of longing in his voice.

The queen, oblivious to the identity of the baker, smiled happily and took a cookie, savoring a bite. "It seems I have. These are the best I've ever had. Perhaps I should reward the royal chef," she mumbled between bites.

Lucian's amusement deepened, but before he could respond, Victoria added, "But I am especially craving those almond tarts. Oh, my mouth waters just thinking about them."

His heart skipped a beat. The almond tarts were his favourite of all the desserts Isabel had ever made for him. He masked his surprise and leaned forward slightly. "Would you like to head to the royal kitchen and request the chef to bake you some specifically?" he suggested, a subtle note of eagerness in his voice.

Victoria's eyes brightened at the idea. "Oh, that would be delightful. Shall we go now?"

"Certainly," Lucian agreed, standing and offering his hand to help her up. His mind raced with anticipation. This was his chance to see Isabel, to ensure she was well and to feel her presence once more, even if just for a moment.

As they made their way to the royal kitchen with all their handmaidens and attendants following behind, Lucian's heart pounded. He hoped his ulterior motive would go unnoticed by Victoria. She was in high spirits, clearly enjoying the prospect of indulging her cravings.

Upon reaching the kitchen, they were greeted by the head chef, who bowed deeply. "Your Majesties, how may I assist you?"

Victoria smiled warmly. "I have developed quite a craving for the almond tarts. Could you please make some for me?"

The chef nodded enthusiastically. "Of course, Your Majesty. It would be our pleasure."

The chef immediately began to work on the tarts, and Lucian couldn't help but feel a pang of confusion. Wasn't Isabel the one who usually made the pastries? Why would the chef be preparing them himself now?

As Lucian led Victoria to a comfortable seating area, he then headed straight towards the busy chef's direction. He studied Henri's movements closely, making the chef slightly uneasy before Lucian posed his question.

"Where is the one making my pastries?"

Henri's eyes darted from his hands back to the king in bewilderment. He didn't seem to understand what Lucian was asking until the king clarified.

"Isabel."

The chef immediately gasped, bowing apologetically before continuing his work. "Your Majesty, I have been the one making your pastries..."

Lucian chuckled, giving Henri a reassuring pat on the shoulder. "I see you still have your humor, my friend."

But Henri, who had been a trusted cook since Lucian's youth, remained silent. Lucian's eyebrow twitched, realizing Henri was not jesting.

"Where is she then? Is she ill again?" Lucian asked, lowering his voice to prevent Victoria from overhearing.

Henri flinched, looking at Lucian with a sigh. "Your Majesty, surely it is not possible that you do not know."

Lucian stared at him blankly, and Henri realized the king genuinely had no idea. Breathing a resigned sigh, Henri finally spoke.

"Ever since Isabel was imprisoned, I have been the one making your pastries, Your Majesty. Isabel taught us herself quite a while ago. She knew how much her pastries pleased you, so we dedicated our time to learn from her."

"Yes. But her imprisonment ended weeks ago," Lucian said nervously, only to see a bitter look cross Henri's face.

"True. And yet she has not visited the kitchen," Henri shot back, continuing to mix the ingredients for the tart.

Lucian sighed, thinking Isabel might have been avoiding any contact with him. But to come to such a point where she would not even show up for her duties...

Suddenly, a chilling fear gripped Lucian's heart. A fear he had never felt before. With a swift and sudden move, he rushed out of the kitchen, startling everyone as he sprinted towards the maidservants' chambers.

~~~

A/N: It has been a long time, lovelies. This book will now have advance chapters at GoodNovel, please do support me there as well. 🥺

I will continue updating the proceeding chapters here two weeks later. Please be patient with me, thank you very much! ♥️