Chapter 15

Chapter 15: Threat to the Ruler

"Why did I not know about this?!" Lucian roared, throwing across the room the sealed paper informing him of the West Kingdom princess's impending visit. His face was flushed with fury, his eyes blazing.

His minister, Lord Cedric Marlowe, stood calmly before him, secretly snickering in a sinister way before composing himself and speaking in a measured tone. "Your Majesty, as your head minister, I have the authority to give permission to such visits. After all, a visit directly initiated by the West Kingdom's princess? It could mean an alliance."

Lucian glared at Lord Marlowe with his jaw clenched. "An alliance? Without consulting me? This is unacceptable! Our kingdom is strong by itself and it does not need another kingdom's service!"

"Your Majesty," Marlowe continued smoothly, "consider the potential benefits. A marriage alliance with the West Kingdom could strengthen our position significantly. It was in the kingdom's best interest to expedite the approval."

Lucian's mind raced. The thought of a marriage alliance was both politically advantageous and personally unsettling. His thoughts drifted to Isabel, and a pang of guilt stabbed at him. "And what of my own feelings in this matter? Am I to be just a pawn in political games?"

The minister bowed slightly. "Your Majesty's happiness is paramount, of course. But the needs of the kingdom must also be considered. The princess arrives tomorrow. We must prepare to receive her."

Lucian seethed inwardly. His heart was torn between duty and his growing love for Isabel. He had to find a way to handle this treacherous path without losing himself or the woman he had come to care for so deeply.

"Very well," he said, his voice colder than he intended. "But know this, Minister Marlowe—any further decisions of this magnitude will come directly to me first. Is that understood?"

"Of course, Your Majesty," the minister replied with a glint of satisfaction in his eyes. "I will see to it."

Lucian stepped closer to Marlowe, his voice dropping to a dangerous whisper. "Understand this, head minister: I am the king. My authority is absolute. Do not forget your place, or you will find yourself stripped of power and title."

Lord Marlowe's eyes narrowed slightly, but he maintained his composure. "I serve at Your Majesty's pleasure, of course."

Lucian turned away, satisfied that he had asserted his dominance. However, Marlowe's next words stopped him cold.

"But, Your Majesty," Marlowe said with a chilling calm, "it would be a shame if certain... indiscretions were to come to light. A forbidden relationship, perhaps? With a palace maid named Isabel?"

Lucian instantly spun around. His face was masked of shock and rage. "How dare you!"

Marlowe smiled thinly. "It would be most unfortunate for such information to reach the ears of the court, or worse, the princess and her retinue. Think carefully, Your Majesty, about how you wish to proceed."

Lucian's fists clenched. Every muscle in his body was taut with fury. He was trapped, at least for the moment. "You have made your point, head minister. But remember, the game you play is dangerous. Cross me, and you will regret it."

Marlowe bowed slightly, a smug look on his face. "I live to serve, Your Majesty."

As the minister turned to leave, he added one final, chilling threat. Marlowe's smile grew colder as he spoke. "And remember, the court would be very interested to hear about how a lowly maid seduced the king. I'm sure the punishment for such an offense would be severe. Perhaps even an execution..." He paused and then continued, "You are still young, Your Majesty."

Lucian's hands clenched into fists, but he knew he couldn't afford to react impulsively. "Get out," he said through gritted teeth.

Marlowe bowed once more and left the room, his sinister grin lingering in the air.

Lucian's heart immediately pounded with both fury and fear. The thought of Isabel's life being endangered because of their love was unbearable. He had to protect her from this threat and find a way to outmaneuver Marlowe.

As soon as the minister was gone, Lucian immediately called for his valet de chambre, who was just standing a few meters away from him. The man quickly stepped forward and bowed his head, waiting for the king's orders.

"Summon the royal chef immediately," Lucian commanded, his voice taut with urgency.

The valet de chambre nodded and swiftly exited the room. Lucian paced back and forth while his mind was racing. He needed to secure Isabel's safety before Marlowe could act on his threats.

The minutes felt like hours until the door finally opened, and royal chef Henri entered, bowing deeply.

"Your Majesty, you wished to see me?" Henri inquired with a note of concern in his voice.

"Yes, royal chef," Lucian said with a firm tone. "I need you to prepare a light banquet for two for tomorrow. The princess of the West Kingdom will be visiting. Ensure it is of the highest quality."

Henri straightened, his eyes attentive. "Of course, Your Majesty. Anything specific you would like?"

"Just make it exceptional," Lucian replied. "And one more thing. I need you to keep Isabel busy in the kitchen for the whole day. She must not know that these instructions came from me. It's imperative she remains in the kitchen."

Henri's eyebrows furrowed slightly in confusion but he nodded. "Understood, Your Majesty. I will handle everything personally."

"Good," Lucian said, a bit of the tension easing from his shoulders. "And, Chef Henri... thank you."

Henri bowed deeply. "It is my honor to serve, Your Majesty."

As Henri left to return to the kitchen, Lucian sank into his chair, his mind still drowned with the events of the past hour. He had bought some time, but he knew he couldn't keep Isabel hidden away forever. He needed a plan, and he needed it fast. The threat Marlowe posed was real, and the stakes were higher than ever. He couldn't afford to make a single mistake.