Chapter 30

Chapter 30: His Majesty and his jealousy

Later that day, Lucian finally parted ways with Victoria, who now had court matters to attend to as the newly crowned queen. The moment he was free, Lucian made his way to the outer court, heading directly to the maids' chambers where Isabel was supposed to be resting. His mind was filled with worry and the need to see her, to ensure she was truly alright.

When he arrived, however, the sight that greeted him made his blood boil. Isabel was seated on a bench, speaking to the palace physician who stood beside her with a gentle expression. The sight of Isabel being accompanied by another man brought Lucian to the brink of insanity, but he chose to remain composed.

He clenched his fists behind his back and carefully walked towards the two, each step measured and controlled despite the emotions raging within him. His jaw tightened as he approached with his eyes fixed on Isabel and the physician who was unknown to him.

The physician noticed Lucian first and immediately stood up and bowed deeply. "Your Majesty," he greeted, his voice respectful but not betraying any sign of fear or nervousness.

Isabel looked up with surprise and confusion flickering in her eyes. "Your Majesty," she echoed softly, standing up slowly from the bench, her movements slightly stiff.

Lucian forced a smile, though it was more of a grimace. "Who is this gentleman, Isabel?" he asked, his tone dangerously calm.

Isabel hesitated as her discomfort was evident. She really did not want to see the king at the moment. "This is the palace physician, Your Majesty. He was just accompanying me back to my quarters."

The physician straightened, meeting Lucian's gaze with a respectful nod. "Your Majesty," he acknowledged.

Lucian's eyes flicked to Isabel, his jealousy simmering just below the surface. "I see. I appreciate your concern, but as the king, I will see to it personally that my court lady is well looked after."

The physician hesitated for a moment, sensing the tension behind the king's words. "Of course, Your Majesty. I meant no disrespect."

Lucian gave a curt nod. "Your intentions are noted. Now, if you would excuse us, I would like a moment alone with Court Lady Isabel."

The physician bowed again, his expression neutral. "As you wish, Your Majesty." With a final glance at Isabel, he turned and walked away, leaving them alone.

Once they were alone, Lucian's composure slipped, and the worry and frustration he had been holding back came flooding out.

"Isabel," he began, his voice rough with emotion. "Why did you let him accompany you? You should have sent for me."

Isabel looked down and her discomfort was evident to him. "I didn't want to trouble you, Your Majesty. You were spending your precious time with your 'wife', the queen."

Lucian stepped closer, his eyes blazing with intensity. "You are important to me, Isabel. More than you realize." He reached out, but Isabel instinctively stepped back, her unease growing.

"Please, Your Majesty," she said, her voice shaky. "This is not appropriate. I am just a maid, and you are the king."

Lucian's frustration grew. "You know you are not just a maid to me, Isabel. Seeing you with another man... it drove me mad."

Isabel looked up and met his gaze with nervousness. "I didn't mean to cause you distress, Your Majesty. I only wanted to ensure you were not burdened by my condition."

Lucian's concern deepened at her words. "What condition?" he asked, his voice tinged with worry.

Isabel flinched at the question, her heart almost leaping out of her chest. She didn't answer, instead, she kept her head down, unable to meet his gaze.

Lucian was growing more concerned, and so h asked again, this time in a more demanding tone. "Isabel, tell me. Why are you suddenly unwell?"

But Isabel remained silent, her silence only fueling Lucian's frustration. Without warning, he grabbed Isabel by the arm, his grip firm as he began to pull her towards the royal physician's clinic. He did not care if anybody saw him dragging Isabel harshly. But it was fortunately a relief that nobody was there but the king's usual attendants.

Isabel's eyes widened in fear, and she began to panic as tears welled up in her eyes. She tried to pull her arm back, pleading with the king to stop. "Your Majesty, please! I'm fine, I promise. You don't need to—"

But her words were cut off as Lucian continued to drag her along, his determination unwavering. Isabel's heart raced as they approached the clinic, her mind racing with complete fear.

Just as they were about to enter, a voice rang out from behind them, causing both Isabel and Lucian to turn in surprise.

"Isabel!"

"Leticia?" Lucian exclaimed, his grip loosening slightly as he realized it was his younger sister.

Leticia stepped forward with her expression one of concern as she took in the scene before her. But deep inside, it was simply a cover up. "What's going on?" she asked, her gaze shifting between her brother and Isabel.

Isabel's heart raced even faster at the unexpected arrival of Leticia. She felt a surge of relief knowing that she might be able to escape the impending visit to the physician. But at the same time, she couldn't shake off the worry of what Lucian might do next when he learns of what she was hiding.

Lucian quickly composed himself, releasing Isabel's arm as he turned to face his sister. "Isabel has fallen ill suddenly. I was just taking her to see the royal physician," he explained, his tone tense.

Leticia's eyes narrowed slightly as she glanced at Isabel, assessing her condition. "Isabel, are you alright?" she asked, her voice filled with genuine concern.

Isabel nodded quickly, trying to suppress the fear and anxiety that threatened to overwhelm her. "Yes, Your Highness. It's nothing serious, I assure you," she replied, her voice trembling slightly.

Leticia frowned, clearly not convinced by Isabel's reassurance. She turned to her brother with a stern expression on her face. "King Lucian, perhaps it would be best to let Isabel rest for now. She doesn't seem well," she suggested, her tone gentle but firm.

Lucian hesitated for a moment, torn between his concern for Isabel's well-being and his stubborn determination to ensure she received proper medical attention. Finally, he relented, nodding in agreement with his sister's suggestion.

"Very well. Isabel, go rest. But if you feel worse, I expect you to see the physician immediately," he instructed, his tone leaving no room for argument.

Isabel nodded gratefully, her heart still racing with the adrenaline of the encounter. With a quick curtsy to both Lucian and Leticia, she hurried away, eager to escape the tense atmosphere without waiting for Lucian who had something to say.