Chapter 32

Chapter 32: Be My Concubine

Isabel slowly stirred from her sleep as the cool night air brushed against her skin. She blinked, adjusting to the dim light, and realized she was lying in the secluded garden while wrapped in the warmth of a robe that smelled strongly of Lucian. Her body felt languid and sore, the remnants of their passionate night still lingering. She turned her head and saw the king beside her, his face peaceful in slumber.

For a moment, she simply watched him even when her heart was torn between her love for him and the truth that he will forever love him from afar. She gently shook his shoulder, trying to wake him without startling him.

"Your Majesty," she whispered, her voice barely audible. "You need to return to your chambers."

Lucian's eyes fluttered open, and the moment he saw Isabel, his expression softened into one of profound tenderness. He reached out, brushing a strand of hair from her face.

"Isabel," he murmured, his voice husky with sleep. "I can't leave you here."

"You must," Isabel insisted in a firm voice. "It's not proper. You are the king and someone might find you here when the morning light start to rise."

Lucian sat up but his eyes never left hers. The moonlight cast a gentle glow over their surroundings, illuminating the intensity in his gaze.

All of a sudden, Lucian took her hands in his. His grip was firm yet tender. "I will take you as my concubine," he declared, his voice steady. "You will be by my side, and no one will dare to separate us."

Isabel's breath caught in her throat as she tried to comprehend his words. "What are you saying?"

"You won't be just another woman," Lucian defended, his eyes pleading. "You will be the one I cherish above all. I promise you, Isabel. I will protect you, and I will make sure you are respected and honored."

Isabel looked away, tears welling in her eyes. "But--"

Lucian's jaw tightened as he cut her words before she could say what she intended to. "My duty is to ensure the well-being of my people and to lead with justice and compassion. But I cannot fulfill that duty if my heart is in trouble. I need you, Isabel. You bring me strength and clarity."

Isabel felt her resolve weakening as she listened to his heartfelt words. She wanted to believe him, to trust that he could find a way to be together.

"But it's not just about us," she said, her voice trembling. "There are so many others to consider. The queen, the court, the people..."

Lucian cupped her face in his hands, forcing her to meet his gaze. "Let me worry about them. You are my priority now. I will handle everything else."

Isabel shook her head, pulling back slightly. "No, Your Majesty. I am not of noble birth. The court would never accept me as your concubine. It would bring scandal and unrest. Your kingdom deserves better than that."

Lucian's face fell, his eyes reflecting the depth of his despair. "But I cannot lose you, Isabel. I cannot bear it. So my decision is final and you cannot change it."

For a moment, Isabel stood frozen, absorbing the heaviness of his words. Despite all her fears and reservations, a spark of joy ignited within her. She had long felt hopeless that the king would never truly be hers, but now it felt as though her deepest wishes had been answered.

Her eyes glistened with tears, not of sorrow but of overwhelming happiness. She couldn't contain the smile that spread across her face as her heart swelled with an emotion she had tried to suppress for so long.

"Your Majesty," she whispered as her voice trembled. "Do you truly mean it?"

Lucian nodded while his expression earnest. "I do, Isabel. I cannot imagine my life without you. You are my heart, my soul. And I will not let anything or anyone come between us."

Isabel felt a warmth spread through her, something of relief and elation. She knew the road ahead would be fraught with challenges, but in that moment, none of it mattered. The king had chosen her, despite everything.

"Then I will stand by you," she said softly, her voice filled with resolve. "No matter what."

Lucian's face lit up with a smile, his eyes shining with the same happiness that Isabel felt. He pulled her into a tight embrace, holding her close as if to reassure himself that this moment was real.

"Together," he murmured into her hair. "We will face it all together."

They held each other for a long time and eventually, Lucian helped Isabel to her feet, wrapping his robe more securely around her.

"Let us go back but get dressed first. " he said gently. "We have much to discuss and plan."

Isabel nodded with her heart still light with joy. They made their way back through the quiet garden and separated ways to avoid suspicions for now.

But what lay ahead was something the two could not predict. It would surely cause a huge shift that might threaten to collapse their relationship entirely.

As days passed and rumors began to spread that the king would take in a concubine, there was an immediate backlash from the king's ministers. The court buzzed with gossip and dissent. The ministers convened in a hurried meeting while their faces were clearly etched with concern and disapproval.