Chapter 142 Niannan has changed

In August of the eighth year of Qingyuan, it had been a year since Xie Miao got married.

The capital city was bombarded by a sudden piece of news that shocked the entire nation: Marquis Dingyuan, Zhou Sichen, secretly returned to the capital and revealed to Emperor Chengxuan the heinous crime of his trusted lieutenant. The brave Deputy General, Huang Zhongcai, secretly colluding with Dan'er Tuhu to exchange military secrets for power and wealth!

Since it is an exposure, it must be based on solid evidence.

Marquis Dingyuan presented the evidence of the collusion between the two to Emperor Chengxuan, exposing the collusion between Huang Zhongcai and the leader of the Dan'er Tuhu, Zhu Keqin, in detail. He wanted to exchange the city for gold and the Zhou family army's unique formation for beautiful women. The two of them conspired to frame Marquis Dingyuan and his eldest son for treason, so that they could control the northern border and do whatever they wanted.

As for the criminal, Huang Zhongcai, he had been serving under Marquis Dingyuan since he entered the army at the age of thirteen. He had fought with him for decades and was known for his loyalty and bravery. However, according to the confession of his attendants, he had long been in the position of deputy general and had long harboured resentment. He would rather take the risk and collude with the northern barbarians in order to get rid of Marquis Dingyuan and replace him.

After hearing the report from Marquis Dingyuan, Emperor Chengxuan immediately summoned Huang Zhongcai for trial. However, at the same time, Huang Zhongcai bit his tongue and committed suicide in prison. Before his death, he wrote on the wall in blood: All the prosperity in the world is for the sake of profit, and all the hustle and bustle in the world is for the sake of gains. It is a pity that I, Huang, was born at the wrong time!

He is so cruel and evil that he refuses to repent!

When Emperor Chengxuan learned of this, he was furious and criticized: "The villain has no sense of propriety, abandoning the fundamentals and pursuing the trivial. When he is happy, he thinks of giving; when he is angry, he thinks of taking away."

The people are the foundation of the country, and the army is the soul of the country. After this incident, Emperor Chengxuan simply couldn't sleep at night. He was anxiously speculating, how many people like Huang Zhongcai were there in the army of Da Qi, and what kind of disaster would they bring to Da Qi?

Within a few days, good news came from Northern Xinjiang: Zhou Nianbei, the son of Marquis Dingyuan, penetrated deep into the Beidi enemy camp, beheaded the Dan'er Tuhu leader, Zhu Keqin, captured several elders and main generals in the army alive, and completely defeated the Beidi alliance!

Emperor Chengxuan's mood was full of twists and turns. First, he was angry at being betrayed by a senior general in the army, then he was anxious and ecstatic after the threat to the border was lifted. But when he regained his senses, a huge problem lingered in his mind again.

The Dingyuan Marquis Mansion not only caught the traitor, but also pacified the northern border. What kind of reward should he give to be worthy of the outstanding achievements of this father and son?

It seems that only...

Emperor Chengxuan smiled, but his heart sank. It is a great joy to have a good general, but if his achievements are so great that they threaten the Emperor and there is suspicion of usurping the throne, then joy will turn into fear.

Just when Emperor Chengxuan was in doubt, Marquis Dingyuan suddenly submitted a letter of resignation, saying that he was too old to fight and wanted to live a life of leisure. He would return all the 300,000 troops in his hands to His Majesty.