Chapter 150 (End of the Main Story)

That night, Xie Miao slept on the wooden bed in the dilapidated house. She was woken up before dawn the next day and set out on the journey of escape again.

Two days later, at noon, the poison took effect as expected.

Xie Miao curled up in a corner of the carriage. Her face was pale, and beads of sweat rolled down her forehead. The piercing pain came over her, almost making her faint.

Zhang Mingnu handed over a small black pill, "Here."

Xie Miao took the time to look at him, thinking about the possibility of not giving in to the antidote. In the end, she compromised, took the pill and swallowed it. After a quarter of an hour, the pain gradually faded away.

Zhang Mingnu asked: "Are you feeling better?"

Xie Miao's eyes were cold, and she said with a fake smile: "Thank you for your concern."

Zhang Mingnu didn't care about her sarcasm. He took out a hard and cold steamed bun from a package, wrapped it in a handkerchief and placed it in front of her. "Eat."

Xie Miao calmed down and asked weakly: "Where are you going to take me?"

They drove the carriage for two days straight, heading northwest, on a remote and deserted road. They didn't see a single living thing that could talk, let alone a county town or village.

She really wanted to ask Zhang Mingnu where he found such a road where "people have disappeared from the thousands of paths"?

Zhang Mingnu said, "Go to a place where Cui Muli and Zhou Niannan can't find you."

Xie Miao was speechless for a moment, then asked, "Why are you doing this? The Zhang family was destroyed, and the Fourth Prince was demoted to a commoner. Even if you want to make a comeback, you won't be able to do so."

This is a brutal truth.

Zhang Mingnu asked, "Aren't you afraid that I will get angry and kill you?"

Xie Miao said: "Then you kill."

Zhang Mingnu raised his eyebrows and looked at her straight in the eye.

Xie Miao picked up the steamed bun, ate it slowly, and then swallowed it slowly. After two days of getting along, she found that although Zhang Mingnu was a bad guy, he was at least normal. He did not have some bad habits of a bad guy in the general sense, such as being mean and vulgar, moody, foul language, domineering, etc.

He captured her purely to threaten Cui Muli. Before she loses her value, her life would be safe.

She thought unrealistically: If she read a passage of Buddhist scripture to him when she had nothing to do, could it change his stubbornness?

Zhang Mingnu didn't know she was daydreaming. He asked, "Who said I did this for the Zhang family?"

Xie Miao understood something, "Do you have a personal grudge against Cui Muli?"

Zhang Mingnu let out a light laugh, "Second Young Master Cui is the moon in the sky, and I am the mud on the ground. We have never had the chance to meet, let alone become enemies."

The words were full of self-mockery and sarcasm, as if accusing of some injustice.

Combining his background, Xie Miao guessed where his resentment came from. Some people are born high and mighty, while others cannot stand out no matter how hard they try.

She could understand the indignation caused by this kind of loss, but it was difficult for her to resonate with it. After all, the unevenness of life is the norm and cannot be a reason to do evil.