Chapter 143 Forever could only be thoughts

In Baochang Pavilion, Xie Miao was accompanying Cui Xining in choosing jewellery.

During the spring examination, Sun Shenyuan did not disappoint the expectations of his beloved lady and mentor. He performed well in both the provincial and palace examinations and won the top spot.

Since the early Song Dynasty, every time the imperial examination results were announced, countless people would wait under the list to catch a son-in-law - of course, they would be those young men who passed the imperial examination but came from poor families. As the top scholar, Sun Shenyuan would be blocked at his door even if he stayed at home.

Who wouldn't want to be the father-in-law of a top-scoring scholar?!

Master Cui Shida was no exception. He changed his previous disdain and dissatisfaction and personally led people to the Sun family. In front of countless people, he joyfully announced the news that Sun Shenyuan was engaged to his beloved daughter. He also asked about the Sun family's well-being and wished that the two could get married tomorrow.

Fortunately, Cui Taifu did not lose his mind. He discussed with the grandmother of the Sun family according to the rules and set the wedding date in September of that year, which is next month.

After two years of hard work, Cui Xining and Sun Shenyuan is finally getting married, and the joy they felt was beyond the comprehension of others. Especially in early July, Sun Shenyuan had already gone to work at the Hanlin Academy, and once Cui Xining married him, she would become a proper official wife.

After crying with joy, Cui Xining began to actively prepare for the wedding. Xie Miao also lamented the difficulties faced by these two and helped them with everything.

In the private room on the third floor, Cui Xining chatted with her while picking things, "A-Miao, has Xijun sent a letter? Did she say when she can come back?"

Cui Xijun had been staying at her maternal grandparents' home since she returned to Xingyang to visit her relatives last August, with only occasional letters sent back to the capital. She mentioned her desire to return to the capital many times in her letters, but was rejected by Cui Muli, who even refused to allow her to go to Cui Xining's wedding.

Xie Miao could understand Cui Muli's thoughts. As long as the Zhang family survived, Cui Xijun's reckless and impulsive character might cause trouble for the Cui family. It would be better for her to stay in Xingyang first.

"I heard from Cui Muli that grandmother is not feeling well, and Xijun is taking care of her. I'm afraid she won't be able to make it back in time." Xie Miao picked up a pair of teardrop-shaped gold-inlaid red agate earrings and put it next to her ears, "This is a good pair, suitable for your wedding."

Cui Xining took the earrings, delighted by their exquisiteness, but also regretted her sister's absence, "Really? Then there's nothing we can do. It's a pity that she can't send me off to get married."

"How can life be perfect in every aspect?" Xie Miao said: "Think more about happy things."

Cui Xining nodded, and glanced at the jewels on the table. She said to Xiao Liu who was standing beside her, "Pack all of these up."

Xie Miao joked, "As expected, she is the wife of an official, very lavish."

Cui Xining explained: "This is what my mother wants. She hopes that I can marry into the Sun family with honour and not be bullied in the future."

"That you can marry Sun Shenyuan, it is his blessing of two lifetimes. Not to mention bullying you, he can't love you enough."

Cui Xining blushed and said, "Meeting Shen Lang is also a blessing that I have cultivated for two lifetimes."