Chapter 147 Escape

Zhang Mingnu's plan failed. He thought he would face revenge, but after waiting for a long time, there was no follow-up. He temporarily relaxed his vigilance, not knowing that danger was quietly approaching the Zhang family.

After the Qianqiu Banquet, the Empress took the "seriously ill" Ninth Prince to the temporary palace to recuperate. The ministers in the court who supported the Fourth Prince took this opportunity to submit memorials to the Emperor, requesting him to make the Fourth Prince the crown prince.

For this reason, Emperor Chengxuan was upset and scolded the officials who led the charge. But in the dead of night, he sat in the imperial study, looking at the edict of succession on the table, with a tired look, as if he had aged ten years in an instant.

He sat back, closed his eyes and rubbed his brows, "Yuan Qi, take this thing out and burn it."

Yuan Qi advised: "Your Majesty, you might as well wait a little longer. Perhaps in a few days, there will be good news from the Empress."

Emperor Chengxuan sneered, "Zhen can wait, but my ministers can't. They keep asking zhen to appoint a crown prince."

Yuan Qi said: "Your Majesty is the ruler of a country, and Your Majesty has the final say on everything."

"That being said, Yuan Qi, zhen cannot act on zhen's own." Emperor Cheng Xuan said, "Zhen understands their concerns. Zhen is already forty-two years old and have yet to appoint a crown prince. If something unexpected happens to zhen one day, what will happen to this huge country?"

Yuan Qi hurriedly said: "Your Majesty is blessed with great fortune and a strong body. Your Majesty will surely live a hundred years!"

"When you get old, you should accept your age." Emperor Chengxuan sighed and drank a sip of hot tea. "Little Ninth is the child of zhen and the Empress. He should be the next monarch, but he is still young and his future is changeable. Zhen has to reconsider. Let zhen ask you, do you think the Fourth Prince can take on the heavy responsibility?"

Yuan Qi said in a proper manner: "The Fourth Prince has inherited the kindness of His Majesty, and is also brave and righteous. He is also a rare talent among men."

Emperor Chengxuan glanced at him and said, "Old man, you can only say flattering words."

Yuan Qi smiled and said, "This slave is speaking the truth from the bottom of my heart."

Emperor Chengxuan disagreed. He had his own decision about his fourth son, Hongye. Looking at his actions in the Yuzhou flood and the Fangkou smuggling salt case, although white jade has flaws, it can become a useful tool after careful carving.

Seeing that Emperor Chengxuan fell into deep thought and did not mention the matter of burning the imperial edict again, Yuan Qi understood. He closed the door silently and left.

*

At the same time, Cui Muli was in a private residence in the suburbs, hiding in an underground torture room.

Sitting on an iron chair not far away was a middle-aged man who was tied up. He looked emaciated, dazed, and on the verge of collapse.

He hadn't slept for six days in a row. As soon as he closed his eyes, he would hear people beating drums and gongs in his ears, and candles as bright as day would be lit in front of his eyes.

His mind was in a mess and he almost forgot his name. The only thing he wanted was to sleep, sleep, and sleep!

With red eyes, he looked at the handsome man standing at the door and asked, "If I testify for you in front of the Emperor, will you ask His Majesty to spare my life?"