Chapter 145 Because I love you

At night, Emperor Chengxuan entertained his ministers in Huayue Palace, with a table full of delicacies, fine wines and jade dishes. In addition, there were also celebration programs.

The religious troupe, military band, and actors took turns performing various programs, including beautiful singing and dancing, acrobatics, and strange skills. Hundreds of children dressed in colourful costumes, holding brocade sticks and treasure plates, dressed up as foreign people to congratulate the Emperor. The scene was extremely lively and spectacular.

The Emperor and Empress sat on the dragon and phoenix chairs in the centre, while Imperial Concubine Zhang and other concubines sat at the bottom in order. On the right were the civil and military officials, and on the left were the court ladies.

Emperor Chengxuan temporarily forgot about little Ninth's illness and immersed himself in laughter. Although the Empress smiled, she could not hide the sadness in her eyes.

In contrast, Imperial Concubine Zhang was radiant, chatting and laughing with the concubines around her from time to time, and was in a very good mood.

The news that the Ninth Prince is seriously ill has spread throughout the palace, and everyone is sighing: This matter of choosing a crown prince has so many twists and turns, and no one knows who will be the heir until the last moment!

At the women's table, Madam Xie and Xie Miao sat together. They had gotten up at maoshi to dress up, and had waited at the palace gate to meet the Empress, observing her words and expressions. There is no shortage of lies when speaking, but they all straightened their backs, sat upright, and concentrated on watching the colourful dances in the palace. Even though they were hungry, they could only move their chopsticks slightly.

When Emperor Chengxuan was in high spirits, he raised his cup. Everyone stood up and congratulated him loudly: "May Your Majesty be as constant as the moon and rising like the sun, may your life be as long as the heavens, and may you lead our Da Qi for thousands of years!"

After several toasts, Xie Miao's cheeks were flushed and she looked tipsy. Madam Xie secretly gave her a pill while others were not paying attention.

"Take a sobering pill."

After Xie Miao took the sobering pill, her mind became clearer, but then she started to feel stomach discomfort again.

Seeing this, the palace maid kneeling beside her considerately handed over a plate of sweet pea cakes and said, "Drinking on an empty stomach is harmful to your health. Madam, why don't you have some cakes instead?"

Xie Miao nodded, and ate two pieces of cake in succession before the pain was relieved.

In the centre of the hall, the sound of stringed instruments was melodious and cheerful, sometimes rising and sometimes falling. The dancers were graceful, their feathered clothes fluttering, like colourful butterflies, beautiful beyond words.

As Xie Miao watched, she suddenly felt dizzy, her chest felt stuffy, and she had difficulty breathing. She closed her eyes, but still didn't feel any better.

Halfway through the banquet, some people who couldn't hold back anymore started to move around, so Xie Miao gently pulled Madam Xie's sleeve and said, "Mother, the palace is too stuffy, I want to go out for a walk."

Madam Xie said, "Well, you've been sitting all day, you should go get some fresh air."

After Madam Xie's instructions, Xie Miao followed the palace maid out of the side door and went to a pavilion to rest. She supported her dizzy head and sat on the beauty backrest.