Chapter 146 If one day ...

Not long after Zhou Niannan left, Cui Muli called the attendant and whispered a few instructions.

The attendant stepped down from the men's seat and walked around to the women's seat at the other end of the hall, standing on tiptoe and looking around, searching for the pretty figure of Second Young Madam Cui.

After a while, he returned to the men's seat and reported to Cui Muli, "Lord Cui, I didn't see Second Young Madam Cui. Maybe she felt stuffy in the palace, so she went outside for a walk to get some fresh air."

The attendant's speculation was not without reason. Cui Muli put his mind at ease for the time being and dully enjoyed the singing and dancing. However, when his eyes fell on Zhou Niannan's seat, an inexplicable sense of uneasiness swept over him.

Niannan had been gone for half an hour. Did he really run into trouble, or...

He raised the corners of his lips in self-mockery, and asked himself: Since when did he also learn the bad habits of being jealous and making groundless accusations? If A-Miao knew, she would definitely scold him for judging others with his own dirty opinions and not being worthy of being a gentleman.

Nothing more than that.

He drank glass after glass, using the alcohol to drown the endless jealousy in his heart. His usually calm and perfect face showed rare cracks.

Little did he know that this whole scene fell into Zhang Mingnu's eyes.

The second son of Cui was born as an immortal, with impeccable family background, academic performance, character, and conduct. Even after marrying an unknown cousin, they were famous for their loving relationship.

Zhang Mingnu once inquired about Cui Muli's wife. It was said that she was the niece brought to the mansion by Second Madam Cui. Her parents died early and her family was in decline. She was still pretty. Although she was not worthy of the reputation of Second Young Master Cui, such a woman must be obedient and gentle, and easy to control.

Cui Muli was a cautious person who valued his reputation very much. Marrying a wife of low status and close relationship was in line with his usual style. Zhang Mingnu originally thought that his wife was a useless move, but he did not expect that the meeting in Baochang Pavilion brought a surprise.

What's the old saying? You search high and low for something, but when you find it, it's easy to find.

Zhang Mingnu thought, in another half a quarter of an hour, an hour, three hours... the entire palace and even Da Qi would spread the news that the Second Young Madam Cui and the Third Young Master of the Zhou family were caught having an affair in the palace. The Second Young Master Cui would suffer the biggest setback in his life.

A look of contempt flashed across his face. He raised his eyebrows and looked at the western clock on the wall. He calculated the time and knew that someone was coming soon.

Sure enough, a panicked figure appeared at the east door. He trotted to Cui Muli, and spoke with his lips opening and closing quickly.

Cui Muli almost dropped the wine cup in his hand. He tried his best to stay calm and stood up. His steps as he left could not hide his urgency.

Unexpectedly, he did not go to Yuqing Palace, but followed the attendant to a luxurious two-horse carriage.

Zuo Qing and Zuo Lan were guarding the carriage. When they saw him, they saluted and retreated to a distance to continue waiting.

Cui Muli lifted the curtain of the carriage, and what he saw was a scene that made him furious and grit his teeth ——

Inside the carriage, Zhou Niannan was hugging Xie Miao tightly. She was wrapped in a green lotus silk quilt, with her jet-black, soft hair loose. She leaned on his chest, sleeping soundly with her eyes closed.