Chapter 47: Spot

“Lukas!! Lukas, where are you!” Jessica called out. Jessica peaked her head around the corner, seeing Lukas near the outside of the cave, but far from the entrance. “Lukas, there you are.” Jessica sighed in relief, running towards him. “Look, I’m sorry for what I said back there.” She started.

“It’s fine.” He shrugged, brushing it off. It was silent for a moment, Jessica leaning against the cave with him. “May I ask, is there a reason you don’t want to?” Jessica asked. Lukas nodded. Lukas pulled up his sleeve, showing a purple spot on his arm. “It was there before I got stabbed, too.” Lukas added.

Jessica started to piece it together. “Soren had that too... do you think-” “Mhm. I think he sped up Maya’s infection.” Lukas answered. “I... might be the reason... why-...” Lukas tried to say before sinking to the ground, crying. “W-why Jesse is as far into it as he is.” Lukas admitted. Jessica’s eyes widened.

“I-I didn’t know! I didn’t even know I had it until Jesse was already too far into it to be saved!” Lukas insisted. She stayed silent, not knowing what to do. It made sense. It all did. “I’m sorry... I didn’t mean to.” He muttered. “I-it’s okay.” She managed to whisper, sitting next to him.

“But it-” Lukas began before Jessica hugged onto him tightly. “It’s okay.” She repeated, tears streaming, her voice sounding like she was starting to cry too. Lukas hugged her back. They both felt guilty. “Well... we can at least t-try to save him.” She stuttered.

Lukas stayed silent. He knew it wasn’t going to work. “Yeah. We can try.” Lukas smiled, trying to comfort her at least a bit.