Chapter 68: Amulet

“C’mon Ivy, we’ve been walking forever!” Jessica complained. “Look, I get it, you’re tired, but there’s a huge monster chasing us and wanting to kill us! We have to keep moving fast!” Ivy answered sternly. Jesse looked at the ground, feeling guilty. He knew why it might have come back and why it was following them. “What’s wrong, Jess?” Lukas whispered.

“I-I might know why it’s following us.” Jesse admitted. Lukas raised an eyebrow in confusion. Jesse pulled out of the amulet. “I think it was made to follow this.” Jesse answered under his breath. Ivy noticed the light coming from the amulet. Ivy rushed over. “PUT THAT AWAY, YOU’RE GOING TO LEAD THAT THING TO US!!” Ivy replied, tugging on the amulet. “I-it could help us!” Jesse argued.

Lukas put a hand on Jesse’s shoulder. Jesse was able to tug it out of Ivy’s hands. “Jesse, all the Order is either dead or infected. There’s no point.” Lukas replied softly. As much as Jesse hated to admit it, he was right. Magnus was most likely too far to be saved, Gabriel was dead, Ellegaard was dead, Soren was dead, and Ivor was either dead or infected.

Jesse’s grip tightened, walking away from the group a bit, going to a nearby stream, Lukas following. Jesse looked down at the amulet, then at the streaming water in the lake. Once the thing that he was told to protect with his life, he was going to throw in a moving stream. He took a shaky breath, his grip tightening.

He closed his eyes tight as he chucked it into the water, hearing it splash into the rushing stream. He opened his eyes as he watched it get carried away, unsure to where or to what. He regretted that choice with his heart. But he knew he had to. Lukas hugged him tightly, trying to comfort him.

Jesse flinched a bit as he felt someone else set a hand on his shoulder, calming down once he realized who. It was Axel. He just felt guilty for what he’d done. But there was no turning back. He took a breath.

“C’mon, let’s go.” Jesse answered quietly, going back with the group, the other two following. Neither Axel nor Lukas tried to comfort him. Jesse was clear just by his actions that he didn’t want to talk about it and that it’d make it worse.

What he just did felt... wrong.