Chapter 24 Act

Lacy

~~~

Bard guides the boat cautiously through large rocks and dangerous waters.

The entire time I just stare at this company I've joined.

Allie sits wringing her hands, veins still running black. Kili clutches Alex's hand, drifting in and out of consciousness. Alex lays limp looking dead. Sam, Bilbo, and Jacob whisper quietly to each other.

Why did I come here?

"Watch out!" Bofur complains every time the boat nears an obstacle.

"What are you trying to do? Drown us?" Thorin snaps and Allie elbows him.

"I was born and bred on these waters, Master Dwarf. If I wanted to drown you, I would not do it here," Bard counters, a smirk on his face.

"Oh, I've had enough of this lippy lake-man. I say we throw him over the side and be done with him," Dwalin growls and receives a smack from Ori.

"Oh, Bard. His name's Bard," I snap.

"How do you know?" Dwalin asks.

"Uh...I asked him," I reply and roll my eyes. I've no peppy laughter left. Im beginning to see how this journey ends.

"I don't care what he calls himself, I don't like him," Dwalin grumbles, crossing his arms. I send Bard and apologetic look.

"We do not have to like him, we simply have to pay him," Balin states and I look over the dwarves shoulders to see Balin counting out coins. "Come on, now, lads. Turn out your pockets." Everyone starts to shuffle trough their pockets.

"How do we know he won't betray us?" Balin whispers to Thorin.

"We don't," Thorin utters.

"I'm really sorry for them. Dwarves can be quite rude but you warm up," I mumble to Bard.

"You have surprising patience," Bard praises and I shrug.

"It's wearing thin," I admit.

"There's um...just a wee problem. We're ten coins short," Balin observes and I turn to see nine piles of ten coins on the table.

"Gloin, come on. Give us what you have," Thorin orders and Gloin glowers.

"Don't look to me. I have been bled dry by this venture! What have I seen for my investment? Naught but misery and grief and-" He suddenly gasps and I turn to see it.

The mountain comes into view, making all rise to witness. It looks simply magnificent.

"Bless my beard." Gloin glances at Allie who isn't paying attempting to anything. She's absorbed in pain. "She has all my money. I lost a few bets." Thorin nudges Allie and she looks up suddenly.

"Oh sorry. Here," she says and carelessly tosses her money bag onto the table. It lands with a loud thump. It is obvious she has won more than a few bets. Bard leaves his post at the head of the boat and walks over to the clump of dwarves.

"The money, quick. Give it to me," Bard demands and holds out his hand.

"We will pay you when we get our provisions, but not before," Thorin responds in kind.

"If you value your freedom, you'll do as I say. There are guards ahead," Bard warns. I glance ahead and see a port.

"He's not lying," I confirm. Balin nods and hands over the money dutifully.

"Hide in the barrels."

"My wings will not go in!" Allie exclaims.

"Then you are the angel of Middle Earth play the part!" Bard says quickly. Allie bawks and her eyes widen.