Chapter 28 Moon

Lacy

~~~

"Oh my Valor Alex!" I exclaim and grab her before she can hit the ground. Bofur grabs Kili's falling body as well.

"We need to get them somewhere safe," Fili says sternly. He has a worried look on his face.

"Bard's house," Oin murmurs and we all nod. I hoist Alex up and Fili does the same with Kili. We move as quickly as we can through the dispersing crowds with the weight of our companions to Bard's home.

Bofur knocks on the door when we get there and Bard has it yanked open in seconds.

"No. I'm done with dwarves, go away!" he snaps but I catch the door before he can slam it.

"No! No! No one will help us. Kili's and Alex are sick,"'I plead and Bard looks a there pale forms of what used to be great warriors.

"They're very sick," Bofur whispers. Bard gives us a pitying look and opens the door.

~~~

Emily

~~~

The boat moves speedily across the lake with the dwarves rowing it. Thorin seems to relish the wind lightly blowing his braids as he stands at be front staring at the mountain. Allie sits at the back flapping her wings to help the boat along she is smiling and occasionally flips a wing to send air at Thorins back. He doesn't care. Thorin is so preoccupied with his mountain he barely notices anything else.

I'm so preoccupied with the absence of Fili I can't notice anything else.

~~~

Once the boat docks at the shore we trek up a large hill to the overlook onto an abandoned city and the mountain.

"What is this place?" Bilbo asks a little fidgety.

"It was once the city of Dale. Now it is a ruin. The Desolation of Smaug," Balin grimly mutters.

"The sun will soon reach midday. We must find the hidden door into the mountain before it sets. This way," Thorin orders ignoring the ruined city and stomping past us. He's got his eyes on the prize.

"Wait. Is this the overlook? Gandalf said to meet him here, on no account were we to-"

"Do you see him? We have no time to wait upon the wizard. We're on our own. Come," Thorin demands cutting off Bilbo's worried words. Thorin turns again as starts leading the company closer to the mountain.

"We aren't even there and he's already obsessed," Allie grumbles, crossing her arms and frowning.

"Allie fly and search for the door!" Thorin yells. Allie huffs, extends her wings, and with a mighty swoop launches upwards.

~~~

Traipsing around the mountain we intently search for some sort of stairs to lead to a small outcropping. Sam and Jacob stand in different positions slowly scanning while the dwarves sprint, stop, look and start over.

"Anything?" Thorin asks loudly for everyone to hear.

"Nothing!" Dwalin replies.