Chapter 31: Email

Michael

Today I have my appointment with two doctors. The dermatologist and the ophthalmologist. Janet is going with me. Although I don't like anyone get into my personal business, I have to admit that facing reality alone is crap. At least my sister knows my boundaries and how and when she can step in. This is one of those times.

"Michael, I think you're gonna have to stay here for two days. They need to keep checking on you."

"No. I'm not going to stay." I refuse to sleep in a hospital. Not one single night.

"Mother can come or I can be here if you don't want to be alone" Janet says softly.

"Please, Janet..." I sigh. "I don't care if I'm alone here. I just don't like the place, so my answer is no, and I'll leave after the procedure."

"Why are you so stubborn? Damn!" She complains exasperated.

We walk to Janets office to wait for my doctors. They need to run some tests on me I need to be checked before my eyes surgery.

I have vitiligo. A skin disorder that affects the pigmentation of my skin and it becomes milky a color. Being a black man, of course it's difficult to see your skin changing its color and cannot do anything about it.

Probably by this time Alejandra has a lot of questions about why I haven't showed her parts of my body. My chest specifically. The patches are starting there and I have some patches on my back too. But the vitiligo has complications, and my eyes have gotten the award for that.

Only a few percent of people get complications with other organs from Vitiligo. I'm one of those disgraced in life that has gotten them. Uveitis has been haunting me for 2 years. It's an inflammatory disease that causes painful headaches and if not treated, I can have permanent vision loss.

Recently those headaches have gotten worse. Last weekend with Alejandra I let it slide but I can't wait more time. So today the first procedure will be with my skin. The treatment is simple, but definitely it's going to change my appearance and my life completely. Tomorrow, I have a surgery on my eyes, to lower the pressure on them.

I'm nervous. I want to call Alejandra to tell her everything's that's going on and what's going to happen, but I don't know how's she going to react. Only my mother and my sister know about this. And of course Josh, but he's a kid. I've tried to explain to him about it and I know this will affect him in some way.

Luckily, he's a tough boy. Like me. I know people will talk and say bullshit about this in the future, but I don't care.

I'm resilient.

Alejandra

Monday:
I wake up early and I hate I have to go back to the office already. I feel so tired because I haven't slept much thinking about Michael. When I'm at work, Carlos invites me to have breakfast with him and I gladly accept.

"Did your boss made you work overtime?" He asks looking at my face. "You look terrible."

"Oh, thank you. Good morning to you too" I say sarcastically. What's the need to say that? I do have a mirror in my house and I already know that.

"Sorry... I mean you look tired, why don't you ask for a day off?"

"I'm okay. I rather stay here than in my house anyway." Specially since I want to avoid the fact that he's not there with me. At least here at the office I'm not used to see him everyday.

"What the hell happened to your hand!?" Carlos raises his voice noticing the splint.

"Shhh... It was an accident at home. Not big deal"