40- how to have a fresh start

Unedited
almost 4k words

"Why did you leave the pack?"

She smiles at her son's curiosity, gently combing through his hair. The boy winces a bit when he hears the snipping sounds of the pair of scissors his mother holds. He sits at her vanity in a plush chair, watching her reflection carefully in the mirror. Clumps of dark hair falls onto his shoulders and he frowns at the sight of it.

"In my pack, alpha women couldn't be with omega men." She explains calmly, focusing on the task at hand.

The boy dusts the hair off his shoulders. He hums, "why? Why does it even matter?"

"Omega males like your father are seen as less than. He's rare and people aren't educated on sub genders that are uncommon. There's a lot of ignorance in the world."

"But dad is still dad." The boy says, confused.

His mother chuckles, "he is. I love him and my pack didn't like that so I left."

"But what about your family and friends? Were they sad that you left?"

The woman nods. She makes eye contact with her son throughout the mirror. "They were," she admits.

"But sometimes, it's okay to leave the places that hold you back. It's good to start over. I wanted a life that no one could control but me, so I did what was best for myself and I don't regret it because now I have you, Jimin."

He smiles at her. She returns it and continues cutting his hair. He misses seeing her long, dark hair. She keeps it concealed now with a head scarf. His mother still looks beautiful, though. He resembles her a bit more now, but he still takes after his dad.

"Why did you cut your hair, mama?"

She gives him another smile, this one being more pained and ingenuine. "I like short hair. And I look more like you, now." She says, ruffling his hair.

__________

Jimin takes in a deep, shaky breath. He stares at his reflection in the mirror. He doesn't know why he requested to get his hair cut in here. Maybe he just wanted a sense of familiarity, but his heart feels heavy watching his dad cut his hair in the same spot his mother used to.

Last night, Jeongguk helped him dye his hair a mocha brown. Jimin likes the change. He thinks it fits him more. In a way, he feels like he looks older, more mature. It's now that he realizes, looking at himself in the mirror, that he's no longer a boy. He always felt like he was never truly an adult. Now, he feels like he is and it's scary. He's growing up.

"I should've realized the signs back then," he mutters, watching his dad cut his hair.

The older man frowns lightly. "What do you mean?"

"When she started wearing head scarves and hats more often. I thought it was a fashion statement."

His father pauses. Jimin watches his expression, how his eyes go distant and his brows soften. He then sighs and continues cutting his hair. "Your mother was very fashionable," he says. "It was a fashion statement."

Jimin looks away from the mirror and down at the vanity. Her hair brushes, old makeup and accessories still lay scattered about it. In the same spot she left them as if she'd return. He wishes she could see him today.

"She's very proud of you for graduating, you know that?" His dad says, snipping some more hair.

He nods, eyes tearing up. He looks back at his reflection. His dad meets his eyes. Sometimes, Jimin gets too caught up in his own emotions that he forgets that his father is dealing with the same thing as him. They're both grieving. In fact, his father may have had it worse. Soon after her funeral, he had to return to work, had to return to raising a child all by himself. He returned to an empty bed and a suicidal son.