Chapter 6: 23rd Birthday

Dai woke up to the soft glow of the morning sun streaming through his window. He stretched lazily and made his way to the bathroom to freshen up. Today was his birthday, and he felt a flutter of excitement in his chest. As he stepped out of his room, he was greeted by the warm, smiling faces of his family.

"Happy Birthday, Dai!" they all exclaimed in unison.

Keiko, his mother, enveloped him in a tight hug. "My baby boy is growing up so fast, I can't believe you are 23," she said, her eyes brimming with tears of joy.

Haruto, his father, clapped him on the back. "Happy Birthday, son. We’re so proud of you."

Yumi, his elder sister, ruffled his hair playfully. "Finally, you’re catching up to us in age! Happy Birthday, little bro."

Ryuji, his elder brother, gave him a high-five. "Happy Birthday, Dai. Ready for another year of adventures?"

Dai’s heart swelled with happiness. "Thank you, everyone. You all mean the world to me."

Keiko led them all to the dining table. "I’ve made a special breakfast for the birthday boy," she announced with a proud smile.

The table was laden with a feast of Dai’s favorites: fluffy pancakes topped with fresh berries and whipped cream, crispy bacon, scrambled eggs, miso soup, rice, and grilled fish. The blend of Western and Japanese dishes made the breakfast feel even more special.

"Wow, Mom, this looks amazing!" Dai exclaimed, his eyes wide with delight.

"Only the best for my son," Keiko replied, beaming.

As they dug into the delicious meal, the conversation flowed easily. Haruto asked, "So, Dai, what are your plans for today? Are you going out with friends?"

"Yeah, Dad. It’s the weekend, so we’re all free. I’m thinking of treating them to lunch at a nice place," Dai said, his eyes twinkling with excitement.

"That sounds wonderful," Yumi chimed in. "Any place in mind?"

"Actually, I was thinking of the restaurant where we had dinner with the music club last night. It has a great vibe," Dai replied.

After they finished breakfast, Haruto stood up and said, "Dai, I left your birthday gift on the table in the hall."

Curious, Dai walked over to the table and found a neatly wrapped box. He opened it eagerly and gasped in surprise. Inside were car keys. He turned to his father, his eyes wide with disbelief and joy.

"Thank you so much, Dad!" he exclaimed, throwing his arms around Haruto in a tight hug.

Haruto chuckled. "You deserve it, Dai. Use it well and drive safely."

Dai nodded enthusiastically. "I will, Dad. This is the best gift ever."

He quickly pulled out his phone and called his friends. "Hey, guys! It’s Dai. I’m treating you all to lunch. I'll send you the address. Meet me there at noon."

"Sounds great! See you there," his friends replied eagerly.

In the afternoon, Dai arrived at the restaurant, driving his new car with a big smile on his face. His friends were already waiting for him outside. They greeted him with cheers and laughter.

"Happy Birthday, Dai!" they shouted, giving him high-fives and hugs.

Taehoon, the restaurant owner, noticed the group and walked over with a friendly smile. "Hey, Dai! Back again!"

"Yes," Dai replied, grinning.

Taehoon looked at the group and said, "Let me get you guys a big table." He led them to a spacious table that could accommodate everyone comfortably.

As they settled in, they were discussing what to order.Later someone came to take the order. Dai looked up to give the order and saw Shun. He asked with a surprise , " senior,  what are you doing here?"
Shun  said, " I sometimes help Taehoon on the weekends" and asked what would like to order. They ordered a variety of dishes: sushi rolls, tempura, ramen, yakitori, and teriyaki chicken. Each dish was beautifully presented and tasted as good as it looked.

Dai felt really happy to see Shun on his birthday.

While serving the dishes Shun heard Dai's friends talk about his birthday.
Shun thought of wishing Dai but hesitated cause he didn't want to disturb him while he is having lunch with his friends.

While they were eating, Dai’s friends began chatting about his birthday. One of them turned to Dai and asked, "So, Dai, do you have someone you like? It’s been a while since you dated anyone."

Dai hesitated for a moment, then glanced at Shun, who was busy taking orders at another table. He smiled and said, "Yeah, I’m interested in someone. I’m still figuring out my feelings for them."

Another friend asked, "Is it a he or she? We all know you’re bisexual, so we’re curious."

Dai looked at Shun again, feeling a warmth spread through him. Without hesitation, he said, "It’s a he," with a big smile.