Chapter 12: Am I Jealous?

As usual, Dai went to pick up Shun at his apartment. He opened the car door and waited. Shun came down and greeted Dai, "Good morning."

"Good morning," Dai responded. On the way to college, they chatted casually. Dai mentioned, "We have the music club meeting today. It's going to be fun. I'm thinking of working on a new piece. What about you?"

Shun smiled slightly, "I have a few new pieces I need to practice."

"That sounds great!" Dai beamed.

When they arrived at the college, they got out of the car. Kenji saw Dai and called out his name. "Dai!"

Dai turned to Shun, "See you in the music club," and then walked over to Kenji, greeting him warmly. They discussed some classes and shared a few laughs. Shun watched from a distance, feeling a strange, indescribable emotion watching Dai being so close to Kenji.

Later, in their classes, Dai asked Kenji if he had joined any clubs. Kenji replied, "No, not yet."

"Are you interested in anything specific?" Dai inquired.

Kenji nodded, "I like to play the piano. I'd love to join the music club."

Dai's eyes lit up. "That's great! I'm also a part of the music club. We have a meeting today. I'll take you there and you can join."

Kenji smiled, "That's awesome. Thanks, Dai."

After lunch, they went together to the music club. Dai noticed Shun going through some music pieces. He led Kenji to Mei and said, "I brought a new member."

Mei greeted them, "Welcome! Here's a form to fill out. What's your name?"

"Kenji Yamada," Kenji replied, taking the form.

"Nice to meet you, Kenji. Fill this out, and you're in," Mei said with a smile.

Shun noticed everything but didn't bother to intervene.

After filling out the form, Kenji went to play the piano. Dai stood aside, listening to him play. "You're really good," Dai complimented.

Kenji felt shy and offered, "Do you want me to teach you?"

Dai agreed, "Okay," and moved to sit beside Kenji.

Shun, watching them, felt bothered by how well they were getting along. He didn't know why, but seeing Dai so close to Kenji made him uncomfortable.

While they were playing, Mei announced, "Guys, since we're all here today, I have something to tell you. All clubs are planning to go on a trip. We've decided to go to Shonan Beach. It's a three-day trip. We'll be leaving tomorrow, so make sure everyone is coming and pack everything you need."

The club members cheered and expressed their excitement. Dai and Kenji looked particularly happy.

After the club, Kenji asked Dai, "Do you know any nice restaurants around here? I want to have dinner outside."

Dai suggested, "Well, there's a place on my way. I can drop you if you're fine with that."

Kenji agreed, "That's awesome. Let's go together then."

When they went downstairs, Dai and Kenji found Shun waiting by the car, browsing his phone. Dai approached Shun and asked, "Have you been waiting long?"

Shun looked up, "I just got here."

Dai opened the door for Shun, who got in. Kenji sat in the back. Dai introduced them, "senior, this is Kenji Yamada, the new student I mentioned. Kenji, this is our senior. You saw him in the music club right, he's the vice president of the club."

"Nice to meet you," Kenji said politely.

Shun nodded, "Nice to meet you too."

Shun asked, "Where are we going?"

Dai replied, "We're going to Taehoon's restaurant to have dinner together."

Shun said, "I'll come with you guys. I have some work with Taehoon."

Dai smiled, "Okay, let's go."

When they arrived at the restaurant, Shun got out first and went inside. Kenji and Dai followed. Inside, Dai asked Shun to eat with them, but Shun declined, saying he wasn't hungry and told them to go ahead. Dai and Kenji sat at a table.

Taehoon noticed Shun's demeanor and asked, "Who's the new guy?"

Shun replied with a hint of jealousy, "He's Dai's classmate. He also joined the music club."

Taehoon noticed Shun's expression and asked, "Is something wrong?"

Shun sighed and confided, "Dai confessed to me recently, and I said I am not interested in dating now."

Taehoon, understanding the situation, asked, "So, now you jealous that Dai is getting along well with this new guy, right?"

Shun hesitated, "I don't know."

After dinner, Dai asked Kenji, "I'll drop you at your dorm."

Kenji declined, "It's fine. I'll have some fresh air and go back later."

Dai nodded and went to Shun, who was still talking to Taehoon. "I'll wait in the car and drop you off at your apartment," Dai said, then left.

Taehoon advised Shun, "You should figure out your feelings so you won't give others a chance to take Dai away."

Shun nodded and left. In the car, Shun seemed lost in thought. He wondered, "Am I jealous?"

Dai noticed and asked, "What's wrong?"

Shun came to his senses and replied, "Nothing."

Dai changed the subject, "Tomorrow we need to start early, right? I'll come fast. Let's go together."

He dropped Shun off, waited for him to go inside, and then drove home.

When Dai got home, he told his parents about the trip. "Mom, Dad, the music club is going on a trip to Shonan Beach for three days."

His mom smiled, "That sounds wonderful. Are you excited?"

"Very! I need to start packing," Dai said, heading to his room.

His dad added, "Make sure to pack everything you need. And be careful."

"I will, Dad. Thanks," Dai replied.

He went to his room and started packing his stuff.