The Ashes Of Secrets

Iman sat in the dimly lit living room, his gaze fixed on the flickering flame of the lighter in his hand. He had just finished another long day, the pressures of his life bearing down on him like a crushing weight. The stress had become too much, too overwhelming, and this—this small, destructive ritual—had become his only escape.

He took a deep breath, the familiar, acrid scent of tobacco filling the air as he lit the cigarette. The smoke curled lazily upward, and for a brief moment, he felt a sense of calm wash over him. It was fleeting, but it was enough to dull the edges of his anxiety, to make him forget, if only for a moment, the crushing expectations he was under.

But as he exhaled, the guilt came rushing back, as it always did. He had been hiding this habit from his wives for weeks now, ashamed of his weakness, afraid of their reaction. He knew how they would feel if they found out—disappointed, hurt, angry. He didn't want to face that, didn't want to add another burden to the already heavy load they all carried.

But secrets have a way of unraveling, and Iman's was no exception.

The Discovery

It happened one evening, when the Twice members returned home earlier than expected. They had been out for a meeting but decided to cut it short and spend the evening together with Iman. As they entered the house, laughter and conversation filled the air, but as they approached the living room, the smell hit them—a smell that was out of place, one they hadn't encountered in their home before.

Nayeon was the first to notice, her laughter fading as her nose wrinkled in confusion. She exchanged a glance with Jihyo, who immediately picked up on the change in the atmosphere. They moved toward the living room, where the scent grew stronger, more distinct.

And then they saw him—Iman, sitting on the couch, a cigarette in his hand, the smoke curling around him like a shroud. He looked up as they entered, his eyes wide with shock and guilt. In that moment, the room fell into a heavy silence, the air thick with unspoken emotions.

Nayeon: "Iman...what...what are you doing?" Her voice was soft, but the disappointment in it was unmistakable.

Iman quickly extinguished the cigarette, his hands trembling as he stubbed it out in the ashtray. He opened his mouth to speak, to explain, but the words caught in his throat. He could see the hurt in their eyes, the shock and disbelief.

Jihyo stepped forward, her expression a mix of concern and sadness. "Why, Iman? Why would you do this to yourself?"

The rest of the Twice members gathered around, their reactions a mirror of Jihyo and Nayeon's. There was a collective sense of disbelief, as if they couldn't reconcile the image of their beloved husband with the man sitting before them, engaging in something so harmful.

Iman felt his heart sink, the weight of his secret crashing down on him. He had known this moment would come eventually, but now that it was here, he didn't know how to face it.

Iman: "I...I'm sorry," he finally managed to say, his voice barely above a whisper. "I didn't want you to find out like this."

Jeongyeon: "But why, Iman?" Jeongyeon's voice was filled with confusion and hurt. "Why did you start smoking?"

Iman looked down, unable to meet their eyes. The truth was a heavy burden, one he had been carrying alone for far too long. But now, under the weight of their collective concern, he couldn't keep it to himself any longer.

Iman: "It's the pressure," he said, his voice trembling with emotion. "The pressure of being an idol, of trying to be perfect all the time, and then coming home and trying to be a good husband to all of you...it's been too much. I didn't know how to handle it. I felt like I was suffocating, and this...this was the only way I knew how to cope."