Continue

Chapter 22: A New Journey in Korea (Continued)

Next Stop: Incheon - Sua's Hometown

From Jeju, they traveled to Incheon, a city where tradition meets modernity, and Sua's childhood memories were deeply rooted. Incheon, often seen as the gateway to Seoul, was a bustling port city with a unique blend of old and new, and Sua was eager to show Iman the places that had shaped her youth.

1. Discovering Chinatown

Their first stop in Incheon was the vibrant Chinatown, the largest in Korea, which had been established over a century ago. The moment they stepped through the ornate paifang (traditional Chinese gate), Iman was captivated by the colorful lanterns, red-brick buildings, and the aroma of authentic Chinese-Korean cuisine wafting through the air.

Sua: "When I was little, my family used to bring me here for jjajangmyeon. It's a dish that originated in this very Chinatown—noodles with a savory black bean sauce. It's a comfort food for many Koreans, including me."

Iman followed Sua to a small, family-owned restaurant where they were served a steaming bowl of jjajangmyeon. As they sat down to eat, Iman noticed how much this place meant to Sua. Her eyes sparkled with nostalgia as she shared stories from her childhood.

Iman: "This place feels special, noona. It's like you're bringing me into your past, showing me a part of yourself that I wouldn't have known otherwise."

Sua: "Incheon has always been a melting pot of cultures, and Chinatown is a perfect example of that. It's where different worlds meet and blend, much like our relationship. I wanted you to see this because it's a reminder that even though we come from different places, we can create something beautiful together."

They spent the afternoon exploring the winding streets of Chinatown, visiting shops filled with traditional goods, and admiring the intricate murals depicting scenes from Chinese folklore. Iman was fascinated by the cultural fusion that Incheon's Chinatown represented, and how it mirrored the blend of traditions within their own relationship.

2. Walking Along Wolmido Island

Next, Sua took Iman to Wolmido Island, a popular spot for both locals and tourists. The island, connected to the mainland by a causeway, was known for its scenic promenade, amusement park, and stunning views of the West Sea. The island held a special place in Sua's heart as a place of relaxation and fun during her school days.

They strolled along the boardwalk, enjoying the fresh sea breeze and the lively atmosphere. Street performers entertained passersby, and the smell of fresh seafood filled the air. Sua led Iman to a small dock where they rented a paddle boat to explore the waters around the island.

As they paddled away from the shore, Iman marveled at the peacefulness of the moment, the city's noise fading into the background.

Iman: "This is so different from the busyness of Seoul. It's like a little escape from the world."

Sua: "That's exactly what it is. Wolmido has always been my getaway when life in the city gets too overwhelming. I come here to clear my mind, to just be myself. I'm glad I can share this with you, Iman."

After their paddle boat adventure, they wandered through the amusement park, where Sua insisted on trying a few rides. Iman, who had never been particularly fond of roller coasters, found himself clinging to Sua as they rode the Ferris wheel, but her laughter and excitement were infectious.

Iman: "I think I'm going to remember this place every time I need a break. It's like you've shown me a piece of your soul, noona."

Sua: "I hope you do, Iman. This place is a part of me, and now it's a part of us."