Chapter 21: Spiffing Saturday

Disclaimer: All characters belong to the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious JKR, I have no claim over 'em.

PLEASE READ:

I AM THINKING OF LAUNCHING A NEW STORY CALLED "FANDOM CLASH (FACEBOOK)", BASICALLY A MASH-UP OF CHARACTERS FROM DIFFERENT FANDOMS ON FACEBOOK.

SO, SHOULD I DO IT? I'M ALREADY WORKING ON IT BUT IT SEEMS A BIT STRANGE. ALSO, I WILL HAVE TO DIVVY UP TIME BETWEEN JILY FANFICTION AND THE MULTI-FANDOMED THINGY. NEED SOME OPINIONS, PLEASE. THANK YOU!!!

Chapter 21: Spiffing Saturday

Lily picked up an empty gift box, then dropped it almost immediately. The design was revolting, pink polka dots clashing against an even pink-er background. Why would people take in stuff like that?

"What is that?" Alice asked, disgusted.

"I wish I knew!"

"Have you checked out that friendship keychain yet? Splits 4 ways." Alice said excitedly.

"Sounds great. I'll get it."

"No, I'll get it. You need to think of another gift."

"That is so unfair." Lily whined.

Alice shrugged.

Lily groaned. Why was thinking of gifts for your bestie so hard?

"Besides, I thought you already thought of a present."

Lily supressed the urge to shove the coffee mug she was now holding in Alice's face.

In the end, Lily bought a box, and a snowglobe. Alice bought the keychain and two dresses. One for herself and one for Marlene.

Alice nudged Lily, who jumped.

"Why are you acting so nervous, it's not like Death Eaters are attacking again soon-"

Lily clapped her hand over Alice's mouth.

"It's all a bit strange, don't you think? How can Death Eaters cross Hogwarts' borders in the first place? And Hogsmeade isn't exactly the safest place.

Alice slapped away Lily's hand. "Oh, puh-lease. They'll attack when Dumbledore dyes his beard green."

Suddenly, high shrieks pierced the air from behind them.

Lily whipped her head around. "What, did I tell you?" She muttered to Alice.

Alice blanched, whether from Dumbledore dyeing his beard green or Death Eaters attacking, Lily could not tell and did not bother to ask.

She dropped her bags, which landed on the cement with a thump, and rushed back the way they came.

She could feel the frost creeping up her already-numb skin, looking particularly eerie against the dark sky.

She shivered involuntarily and hugged herself, wand in hand. She tried to piece together bits of her mind. Shrieks of terror, dark sky, frost...

"Stupid." She chastised herself. She was more useful away than here. Her being here, defenceless as she was not able to master the Patronus charm yet, would only fuel the Dementors with her memories and support them in their ruthless slaughter.

She was planning to disapparate. Anywhere, away from here. But where was it possibly safe?

She just ran.

She ran back to Alice. The cold wind whipped against her cheeks, her hair was falling into her eyes. Her wand was slowly slipping past her numb fingers as the worst memories of her life were brought back in front of her eyelids.