Chapter 8

Maya POV

Waiting for Josh and Lucas is both boring and a lot of work. We were allowed to have the decision of letting them stay with us or in another room. What other decision could there be? But where would they keep their things. We have walk in closets in every room. I have more clothes than Riley. I think Riley just matches things with each other to create more outfits. It's smart, but I have a different style than her.

It is the day after the ball. Riley and I woke up kind of late. After Josh and Lucas left last night, we just stayed up for hours talking about the plans that were going to be made. Like sleeping arrangements, coronations, crowinings. We made decisions, smart ones. They would stay in our rooms whenever they please, store their things in our room or in a room of their own, their choice. Their coronations would happen in a week and crownings after they are made princes. The crowning is basically a celebration, placing the crowns on the kingdom's new princes and new princesses. It's all pretty basic.

Hey Riles. How you doin'?

Pretty good.

What's wrong?

I don't know. I feel like we are forgetting something.

Well, breakfast with mom and dad happened, designer meeting is tomorrow, introductions to the kingdom are when they get here, and wait, where's Auggie?

THAT'S IT. We had to take Auggie to his guitar lesson.

We go running into his bedroom, and he is playing an air guitar. He tells us we are late, then we drag him out of the room, and drop him off in the music room with the teacher. We walked out and walked to the garden. We started talking about ourselves, then Farkle decided to join us.

Ladies.

Farkle.

Where are your boyfriends?

Packing.

You two really are sister. If not twins.

Thank you.

Riley: I'm surprised you didn't meet anyone at the ball, Farkle?

I am.

Farkle: Well, Maya, for your information, I did meet someone.

Riley: Really, who?

Farkle: Look in my eyes.

No.

Farkle: Look in my eyes.

Riley: No.

Farkle. This will never end.

Tell us about this mystery woman.

Farkle: She is like me. But in girl form.

We were surprised there was another form of Farkle. Seeing as Farkle was Farkle, it was hard to believe there could be a girl like that. We all decide to start walking around the garden, then walk to our daily lessons. We greet our father and continue off of yesterday's lesson about the Trojan Horse. He gave a present to Riley but inside was a small chalkboard with "Trojan Horse" written on it. He explains how they believed the horse was a gift, and didn't think to inspect its insides for intruders. So the lesson was don't expect something to be good if it's in a pretty wrapping. Something pretty on the outside may not be so pretty on the inside.

Riley and I were walking back to our rooms when a guard told us there was a young woman that wished to speak with us. She was in the waiting room next to the gate. Riley and I were running and laughing at the same time. Farkle decided to join us on our encounter with this girl. We arrive at the gate and the guards let us in. I see this girl with light brown hair, sitting with her hands playing in her lap.

Hello? I am Princess Maya and this is my sister Princess Riley and our friend Farkle.

Farkle? What an odd name. I am Missy Bradford.

Riley: Nice to meet you, Missy. What business do you have here at the castle/

Missy: I have some questions regarding the men you have chosen from last nights ball?

Whomever we chose is our business and will be revealed to the public at a disclosed time.

Riley: Right, we will alert the public on our own time.

Missy: I just wanted to know if you had chosen Lucas Friar or Joshua Anderson.

Farkle: How did you know that?

Missy: How did you know that?

Farkle: I didn't say I know anything.

Riley: Why them two specifically.

Missy: They are my neighbors and I really want to know if they were lying to me to get me to back off of them or if they were telling the truth.

They were telling the truth.

Missy: Are you kidding me.

My face was dead serious. Riley looked as if she was going to yell for the guards to throw out this girl claiming to be their neighbors. Farkle was just being Farkle and his usual smiley face. I looked at Missy and she looked at me as if I was lying to her and I would tell her some name that is completely different than the ones she had given me.

Do I look like I'm kidding. Please leave. Now.

Missy: Look, I didn't mean to mess things up bu--

I think you did. You probably came here, thinking you could tell us all the bad things about your so called friends, and make us think they were awful guys. So you could go back to the village and have them all to yourself. But you were wrong, they love us, more than you could ever experience. You can't ruin them for us as much as you have ruined them for you. So please leave before I have the guards drag you out.

She immediately got up and ran out. I felt agitated that a girl would be concerned in MY choice. Or even Riley's choice. No one should disrespect royalty like that. Even if someone isn't royalty. No one should be accused and put into a rouse like that. I know the choice we were forced to make. But I know I made the right one.

Riley: Maya, are you okay?

Yeah, I'm fine, let's just go back.

Farkle: You know, Maya, --

No Farkle, no witty banter right now. I am really not in the mood.