Chapter 32

Josh POV

Talking with Maya was simple, or so to speak.

I asked Riley why you call yourself broken. And I want you to know that as long as I am here, you will never break down. You will stay strong, and if you are ever hurt, I will be here to protect that cute little face of yours. I made a promise to your parents that I would protect you no matter the cost, even if it means my own life. I intend on keeping that promise until I die keeping that promise.

Are you really saying this to my cute little face right now?

Yes, I am. Because when you own it, it doesn't make you feel too bad.

I thought that was my line.

Well I haven't heard you say it before, so.

I gave her a kiss on the forehead, then I pulled her in for a hug. We played around with the books for a while, then Farkle ran out.

Uh, -- I gotta go.

He ran out of there so fast.

What was that?

Maya: I don't know, maybe he has a date.

King and I: WHAT?

Maya: It's a joke.

We both sigh, and Maya and I walked out. We saw Lucas walk by, then just left. We walked back to our place, hand in hand. I opened the door for her and she ran for her laptop.

What are you doing?

Moving dates.

No. We can keep the dates, and fittings on schedule. We are not going to let Missy Buttford ruin this clearly, special day for you and Riley.

Did you just call her Buttford?

Well, I was raised in a house where swearing was frowned upon.

From what I've heard come out of his mouth, so was Lucas.

Yeah, we were. But we never missed our appointments. Changing the appointments would make Riley feel bad.

Fine, we won't change them.

You won't change them. I am nowhere near that laptop, girl.

Yeah, mhmm.

I walk towards her, and give her a quick kiss on the lips. I walk over to the dresser and look at a picture of me and Lucas. We were hanging out after school, and we were sitting underneath this tree. It was low enough for us to climb, and reachable branches. Everyday after school, we would see how high we could go, and still be able to come down. Then one day, his sister came looking for us because we were late for dinner. I asked her to take a picture because we didn't know if we could go higher ever again.

But as I was looking at the picture, I noticed something coming off the side of the picture frame. I picked it up, and saw a wire coming down from behind the dresser.

What?

I keep following the wire, and see it go through a small recording machine., hidden in a fake board in our wall. I moved the dresser and pulled at the wall. I pulled out this little box. I pressed the rewind button, then pressed play. It was when I first came here. I could hear Maya say, "What are those," on the recording. She said that on the opposite side of the door.

What are you doing?

Was this recorder always hidden here?

What recorder?

I show her what I found and where I found it. I told her what I saw.

How long has this been here?

The recording goes as far back as when we first came next to the door.

We need to check is Lucas and Farkle have these in their rooms.

She turned around while she was talking, and while she was talking, I was making my way to the door.

Are you coming or not?

She laughs at me, and runs out the door. I follow her and we barge into Lucas' room. He was already asleep. I jump on his bed and shake him up.

DUDE, GET UP!

DUDE GET OFF OF ME!

MY BAD.

Maya: WHY ARE YOU STILL YELLING?!?!

Both: WE DON'T KNOW.

I jump off his bed, and get back on my feet. Lucas gets up, and sits on his bed.

Lucas: Why are you guys in my room at 11?

I found a recording machine behind a panel in the wall and a wire behind one of my pictures.

Lucas: Oh, no. How far do the tapes go?

Maya: Since you guys first set foot in these rooms.

Lucas: You think there is a machine in here?

Both: Yes.

We start looking around and checking literally everything in their room. We were pulling things and putting them back. Then I heard a lot of knocking. I turn around and see Lucas, bent down next to the wall, and knocking on different places of the wall.

Dude, what are you doing?

Looking for hollow spots.

Smart boy.

The knocking goes on for about another seven minutes, then it stops. Lucas is in right next to the seats of Riley's window. There is a black wire on the edge on one of the cushions.

Guys, I found something.

Pull.

We pull at the panel and it lifts at the bottom. I stick my hand in and feel the box inside. I pull it out, and press rewind, then play.

Hi.

Hi. So this is your room?

Lucas hits the stop button, and walks away. He paces back and forth with his hands cupped next to his face.

Lucas: I think I know who did this.

So do I.

Maya: I am getting Riley and her bow. Missy Bradford should be punished.

Maya, we don't need to result in violence.

Maya: She put my family at risk and put my sister and best friend in the hospital. If she gets one little cut, it better be filled with poison.

Lucas: Maya, that's crazy talk.

Maya: No, it's not.

M, calm down, please. You're scaring me.

Maya: I'm sorry, but we better go search Farkle's room.