Chapter 11

Lucas POV

The day took a great turn and now we have to sleep. Tomorrow, we have royal lessons about how to rule the kingdom for an hour then meetings with whoever designs what we will be wearing, the crown fittings then music. We have so much to do in one week to prep for coronation of princes. It is hard to believe Josh and I are going to be the new princes. But I need to get through this night. I feel like Riley's dad is going to be staring at us being the for to make sure we don't do anything. We aren't going to do anything.

I walk into her room and there are purple walls and flowers. I just stand there, not knowing where to go or what to do. She grabs my hand and pulls me to her window and pushes on my shoulders to make me sit down.

Hi.

Hi. So this is your room?

Yeah, we can add some of your stuff if you want? I understand if the purple is really overwhelming.

Yeah, thanks.

So, this is my window. Maya has one too, but we sit in one at a time and always with each other?

Do you ever talk about me here?

MAYA?!?!

Maya and Josh burst through the door and sit in the window. Josh sits on my right side, and Maya sits next to Riley.

Yes, peaches?

Riley just points at me.

Maya: What did you ask?

Do you ever talk about me here?

Riley: You gave me bad advice.

Maya: Just start over.

Riley: This is my room. And this is my window.

Do you ever talk about us here? -I say pointing to me and Josh.

Riley: You gave us bad advice.

Maya: Calm down, peaches. We talk about you in a normal sense.

Josh: Sweet.

Maya: Josh, let's leave them here to unpack while we unpack your boxes? You have so many.

You got that right.

Maya grabbed his hand and pulled him off the bench. They ran out the door, leaving Riley and I alone. I stand up and stand in front of her. I leave my hand open in front of her. She laughs at me and takes my hand. I pull her off the bench, and we walk over to the boxes outside of the room. We brought the boxes in and put them on her bed. We unpack everything, I have a side of the closet with a shoe rack. My side has my clothes hanging from jackets to t-shirts.

I realize that Josh had my backpack with my little, sentimental things. I walk into the room and see Josh holding Maya by her waist. They are both laughing really hard and maya's face is bright red.

Josh: What's up, dude?

You have my backpack.

Josh: Oh.

He tosses me my bag, and I walk back to Riley's room. Good thing they are right next to each other. I walk back in and Riley is looking at one of my pictures. I walk up next to her and wrap my arms around her. Her head tilts and it leans against mine.

What are you looking at?

I opened this box and found this picture. Are these your parents?

Yeah.

Were they happy for you?

My mom was. I don't know about my father. I live with my mother in the village and my dad lives in the country.

I'm so sorry.

It isn't a big deal. I have you and King Corey and Queen Topanga and Maya and Josh as my family now. How often can you say that you and your best friend are now family and royalty.

Pretty often for me. My best friend is Maya and she is my sister and we are princesses.

So you understand how I feel now.

Why yes, yes I do.

It's getting late, we should go to bed.

She grabs her clothes out of her closet, and I grab some clothes out of my side of the closet. I go into the bathroom to take a shower and Riley goes into her closet to change. I finish my shower and come back outside. When I come out, I see Riley lying with her back facing up and her feet on her pillow. She has a laptop in her hands, and looks very focused. She is wearing a nice t-shirt and something that looks like basketball shorts. I am wearing some flannel patterned pants and a white crew neck t-shirt. I walk over to the bed and sit down. I put my feet next to her head and lean my back against the headboard. I start poking her side with my toes.

What are you doing to me???

Trying to distract you. What are you doing that makes you not want to sleep?

Planning the ceremonies with Maya over a shareable document.

Nice. Well, can you flip over because I don't want you to kick me in the face when I'm asleep.

Fine.

She puts her laptop on the small couch, and flips to where we are facing each other. She climbs under the covers and lays there. Then I do the same. But she looks cold, even if her blanket are actually ridiculously thick.

Come here.

What?

I open my arms and she comes in. I wrap one arm around her shoulder and her head rests on my chest. Our fingers intertwine over my stomach. I kiss the top of her head and we turn off the lamps next to us.

Goodnight my princess.

Goodnight my prince.

And with those last words, we were both asleep and taken by the persuasion of night.