Chapter 29

Maya POV

Finding out that Riley will be fine is a big weight lifted off of my shoulders. I won't lose my best friend. I looked over at Lucas talking to Farkle. He looks actually worse than I do. I didn't think that was possible.

Josh: You doing better now?

Yeah. I think so.

No. You're lying.

How do you know if I'm lying?

Because I know you Maya. I know you won't be actually better until you see her, alive and breathing and solving all of your problems.

How do you know that?

Like I said. I know you.

He kisses the top of my head and gives me a hug. My arms wrap around his waist and I give him a long squeeze. I let go and finally sat down. Josh sat next to me and I just leaned on him. Our heads leaned against each other.

It was about 7AM. Farkle comes over to us to tell us that Riley woke up. Finally. I was the first one through the door, and I saw Riley trying to eat Jello.

Honey.

Peaches.

I run up to her and give her a really big hug. She hugs back and we sway back and forth.

Riley: MAYA! Let me breathe. Please.

Alright. Fine.

Lucas: Hey.

Riley: Hi.

He walks up to her side and kisses the top of her head. They give each other these eyes. They can't stop staring at each other. Then Josh comes in.

Josh: RILEY!

Riley: JOSHIE!

He gives her this hug and a pat on the head. All of this is happening and I have not let go of Riley's hand.

Farkle: Don't you seem to be missing something??

Riley and I: Farkle.

Farkle: Ladies. Riley, how are you.

Riley: Happy.

Why?

Riley: Because we are all here.

All: AWW!

Lucas: The doctor said you can get out of here by tomorrow morning. Observational reasons.

Riley: But didn't Farkle have to stay but he left to help us.

Farkle didn't have surgery.

Riley: Right.

Don't worry. I'll stay here with you.

Lucas: When I'm not here.

Alright, Huckleberry, you think I am leaving my best friend right now, you are officially a Huckleberry.

Riley: Maya.

Lucas: It's alright, Riley. I am unaffected by Maya's views of country life.

I will break you.

Lucas: If that's what makes you happy. Ma'am.

Oooooooo.

Riley: Guys, just take shifts. We still need to make preparations anyway. Every hour, I want a new face.

Well, you are going to need one if you and Lucas are going to --

Riley: MAYA!

Josh: Wait, what?!?

Farkle: I think what Maya is trying to say is th--

Just then, Lucas wraps his arms around Farkle's head to make him stop talking. I volunteered to take the first shift so the boys could go to their first fitting of the suits they chose. I made Josh promise to take model status pictures for Riley and I. Farkle is second and Josh is third, and Lucas would always be the last one to see her in the day. Obviously.

The guys left the room, so Riley and I got a little more time to hang out. We ate ice cream, popcorn, watched our favorite show on Netflix, Once Upon A Time. We liked it because it reminded us of, well, us. We don't really have an evil queen that cast us to a land where we don't know each other. Neither of us had a son that finds us in Boston.

Riley: YOU GO EMMA, YOU GO.

That is true woman power right there.

But Hook and Neal are throwing her off.

Don't forget Henry.

True true.

We start laughing, then my shift is over. I walk out and pass Farkle. I walk back to my room but I see my father in the classroom with Josh and Lucas. I saw them walking around with books on their heads. And they were our large textbooks. Auggie was in there too, but he had one of his picture books. I remember doing this. Mother taught Riley and I though. I saw Josh drop the book on the floor.

Seriously.

Josh: You know how hard this is?

Lucas: Yeah, Maya. Try doing this.

Fine.

I walk to the bookcase and pull out the same textbook they are using. I place it on my head and walk around it is nothing.

Josh: Is your head iron or something?

Nope, just had a lot of practice.

Lucas: Since when do you work on something?

Really, Hop-A-Long, you wanna go right now. Because you have done quite enough haven't you. (I made a little kissy face at him and he tensed up so much.)

Lucas: Josh.

Josh: Maya.

Corey: What is happening?

I saw Josh in a towel!

Really?

Josh: It was glorious.

Yes, I walked out of the room questioning everything.

Corey: And where were you while all this towel watching was going on?

Lucas just stared at him with a smile. Then all of a sudden, I see Lucas jumping over the tables next to the farther door and he starts running. Then Father comes and stares at me.