Chapter 30

Riley POV

It was the time to switch people again. Farkle walked out after giving me a little pat on the head. When he closed the door, it opened up again, immediately. This time, Josh walks in.

Hey Riles.

Hey Josh.

How have you been today? Maya and Farkle keep you good company?

Why yes, yes they have. Will you do the same?

I most certainly hope so.

We sit and hang out. Josh is so funny. He has the most jokes I've ever seen before. Then he shows me this picture of him and Maya. They look so happy.

Thanks. I really am.

You should be.

Can I ask you something?

What is it?

Maya said something about being broken. She seems pretty whole to me.

No, do you know about Maya's past, before she was made a princess?

Not much, other than she was not actually born royalty.

You know why we treat her as born royalty.

Because she is your best friend.

Not only that, she is our family. We call her family, then we treat her like family.

They why does she call herself broken?

Well, she was troubled when she first started coming into the castle for lessons. She had a mother and her father abandoned them when her mom found out she was pregnant. Then one day, Farkle and I convinced my father to let us go visit Maya at home one day because she didn't show up. We went and her mother was drunk and yelling at her. Her mother locked herself in her room, and Maya broke down, crying. We brought her back to the castle. When she was ready to go back, her mother had left her a letter. It basically said she was sorry and was going to go get help. She left her.

Then you guys took her in.

Exactly. Maya calls herself broken because she can break down at any moment. She may seem happy, but inside, she is wishing she had known her mother more, and how if her mother was different, she wouldn't be here.

Wow. I know Maya but I never knew much.

Well, now you know Maya even better.

I should go talk to her now huh?

Yeah, you should.

I will wait with you until Lucas gets here.

No, it's okay. I can be on my own for a bit. Don't worry.

Are you sure?

Yes, go talk to her.

He gives me this really cheeky smile, and runs out of the room. I am glad I got Josh to go to her. It made me feel like the number of things I could do for Maya just go up.

It was about 6 PM and to be honest, I was tired from the pain medication they gave me earlier. So I decide to take a little nap. I will wake up in maybe an hour anyway.