Octachel-What Could We Have Been

Octavian paced in his makeshift command tent. "We must destroy them! This Graecus scum will wipe us out if we give them the chance, we must strike first and prevail against our enemies!"

"Sir, there's a delegation of Greeks here to speak with you." A legionnaire stuck his head into the tent, suppressing an eye roll when he called the scrawny auger 'Sir.'

"Send for some men from the First Cohort, I want protection for when they try something."

"They say they come peacefully. One of them claims be the Oracle of Delphi."

"Pah! Fraud." Octavian scowled.

"They also don't wish to be in an enclosed space with someone who is quote 'threatening their home.'"

"More like a nest." Octavian muttered. "Fine, I will meet with them in the open, but I still want those legionnaires with me."

"Yes sir." The legionnaire turned his back to conceal the eye roll this time before leaving to find his comrades that Octavian requested.

The pale Roman stormed through the camp with his attendant at his side.

"You know, the oracle doesn't seem like the kind of person to like being kept waiting." The child said quietly.

"Hah! An oracle, that's a cute ideaaaaaaaa...." Octavian trailed off as he turned the corner and came face to face with a furious redhead.

"What did you just say about oracles?" She snarled.

Oh my gods, she's furious. Octavian thought. Furious and ginger. And pretty hot-No! She is Graecus scum!

"Answer me, Stick Boy!" The redhead roared.

That kicked the auger's brain back into motion. "I am Octavian, Auger of the Gods. You will do well to respect me."

The redhead raised an eyebrow at him, then threw back her head of wild hair and let out a wild bark of laughter.

"What's so funny?" Octavian demanded.

"An auger? Please, you're useless."

"Oh and I suppose that Oracles are so much better?" He snapped back.

The bright green eyes that were narrowed hatefully at him suddenly glowed brightly with a neon green light. Smoke poured from the girl's ears and mouth. "Why yes, I am. As Apollo's personal oracle, I know all prophecies, those in the Sibylline books and those outside them."

Octavian took a step back. "T-there are other prophecies?"

The green smoke abruptly stopped.

"Of course there are you complete nimrod. There will always be more prophecies."

Octavian bristled. "I am not a nimrod. And I don't appreciate being called one by," He looked her up and down, taking in the ripped and paint splattered jeans, the orange tee shirt for her camp which was also covered in paint, and her freckled arms, again hosting paint splatters of all colors, "A wannabe artist freak who thinks she can predict the future."

"I'm the freak? Hah! I hate playing this card, but do you know who I am? I am Rachel Elizabeth Dare, daughter of the owner of Dare Enterprises. I host an all-knowing spirit that tells better prophecies than your ancestors, but unlike you Roman weirdos, that's pretty normal around here!" Throughout her little speech, she moved closer to the auger, stabbing at his chest with her finger.

"Do not insult the Roman name, you may quickly find that you will pay dearly for it." Octavian said with a confident smirk.

"You think you can threaten me? I've read enough history books to know Augers may be helpful, but they are cast out. They are the lowest of the low, and you look like you'd be even lower."

"Rachel, calm down." The boy off to the side said. His hairy legs gave away what he was.

"A faun. Useless creatures." Octavian sneered.

"I am not a faun! I am a satyr. Completely different thing, we're actually helpful. We find demigods and bring them to camp."

"Ah, your useless camp-" Octavian got no farther before Rachel rushed him, swinging her arm up like she was weilding a knife. The blond boy stiffened, expecting to feel cold steel at his neck, but instead felt the cool touch of plastic.

"Is that a hairbrush?" A legionnaire asked. The gathering crowd began to laugh.

"What, they didn't trust you with a proper weapon?" Octavian let out a snort of laughter.

"Should I tell them, Grover?" Rachel asked.

"Do it." The satyr responded.

"I threw this hairbrush at the king of the Titans. It hit him in the face." Rachel said.

All laughter stopped.

"Thought so." She snapped. "We have done nothing wrong to you, leave us in peace. Attack my home and it could very well be the last thing you ever do."

She whirled, her wild hair slashing the auger across the face. "Let's go."

The Greeks left, openly laughing at various things they could see as they went.

Octavian followed, wanting to know the ulterior motive of these Graecus scum had.

"Those stupid Romans. They don't listen to us, even though this is the second time! Honestly, I liked the girl better than that stick of a boy." Rachel said.

They walked along the side of the highway, ignoring the cars that slowed slightly to watch them.

"You guys go, I'm going to check my phone before the barriers kick in and I can't use it." The redhead said quietly.

"You sure, Rachel?" The satyr asked.

"Yes. Go on."

Grover shrugged and passed the pine tree that stood nearby, dragging the demigod with them along too.

Rachel plopped onto the ground and pulled her knees to her neck. She seemed to be crying and as Octavian got closer, he began to hear her mumbling.

"Stupid visions, why can't they just go away? And poor Grover...And now these stupid Romans too! Everything is screwed up now, all because of that stupid spider."

Octavian stepped on a twig and froze. Rachel whirled and glared at him.

"What do you want, Auger." She sneered his title like it was a disease.

"I...Are you okay?" Rachel looked surprised at the question and Octavian was too. Why do I care? He thought.

"Why do you care?" The Greek girl voiced his thoughts.

"I-I'm not sure..." He turned abruptly to leave, but Rachel seemed to have noticed something.

"Is that a teddy bear?"

"Um...yes?" Octavian turned slowly, not seeing the problem.

To his surprise, Rachel's freckled face held a smirk that made her look even more beautiful than-No! He couldn't think that way about her.

"Aren't you a little too old for teddies?"