Fremione-White Walls and White Cells

Hermione knocked on the plain white door and opened it when she heard a quiet voice call for her to enter.

"How are you feeling today?" She asked, consulting her clipboard to make sure she had everything on the list to give the patient in the bed for lunch.

"Tired." The redhead in the bed managed to respond before being dragged into a fit of coughing.

"Understandable." Hermione nodded, flicking her wand and conjuring up a tray of food over the bed. She carefully set it across the girl's legs. "If that cough keeps getting worse, you should probably tell your Healer."

"Where is Marcus?" The girl asked weakly.

"On his break. He'll be back in twenty minutes." Hermione replied with a smile.

"Okay."

"Eat what you can, Amy. I hope you feel better."

"Thank you, Healer Granger."

Hermione closed the door and consulted her clipboard again.

"Fourth floor, room 4020." She sighed. The room she needed to go to was all the way across the building and two floors up.

"Alright." She said, marching off. The healer code prohibited apparating inside the building. There was always a chance it could scare a patient, or on some of the floors cause problems with the mentally ill patients that would get scared.

After talking for almost twenty minutes with one of the old mothers who was visiting her son, Hermione left the room and checked her list one last time.

"That should be everyone." She muttered.

Going downstairs and returning to the break room, she sat down for a moment, feeling the tension ease out of her feet and legs.

"How's your shift been so far?" One of the other healers sat down across from her, a dark skinned woman with wild hair that stuck out from her head.

Hermione shrugged. "Pretty standard, as far as I can tell. How about yours?"

The woman sighed and rubbed her forehead. "Wild. Some Pureblood wizard came in complaining of stomach pains. We inspected it and it turns out one of his muggleborn friends convinced him to eat a urinal cake and some other...things...they found in the bathroom."

Hermione gagged. "Ew! What did you have to do?"

"It was a pretty quick fix, but he insisted on describing everything he had consumed, which was less than enjoyable." She chuckled.

"I'd assume so."

"Dana, Connors needs a hand and he asked for you." A man stuck his head into the room.

"Alright, I'm coming." Dana stood up and smiled at Hermione. "If I don't see you again, have a nice day."

"You too, Dana." Hermione smiled back and was soon alone again in the break room.

She spun her wand around in her fingers for a few minutes before whispering, "Avis," a few times and watching golden birds float around her head.

"Granger!" A frantic yell echoed down the hall. "Healer Granger, you here?"

Hermione jumped up and pocketed her wand, forgetting the birds as she ran out into the hallway.

"I'm right here, what's going on?"

The boy skidded to a stop in front of her and bent over to catch his breath.

"Second floor....asked for you...fast..."

Hermione frowned and began to ask, but a look at the boy's frantic movements stopped her and she took off running for the second floor. She didn't know what would be down there that she was needed for specifically, but if they needed her down there she would go and help.

"Second floor...that's Magical Diseases."

Reaching the floor that she needed to be on, she slowed and looked for someone who seemed to be in pain or frantic.

"Healer! Healer Granger!" A voice barked to her left.

Hermione turned to see one of the newer healers.

"What do you need?"

"Not me...The patient asked for you." 

She frowned again. "Okay...When were they admitted?"

"Four hours ago. We didn't know where to put him since he seems to have some sort of muggle sickness so we put him here, but nothing seems to be working."

Hermione nodded. "Alright, I'll go talk to them."

She started past the Healer, but he reached out and grabbed her arm.

"You might be in for a shock, Healer Granger. I hope you're ready."

"I've seen a lot, Jason. I'll be okay."

"Good luck, Hermione." She had to smile a little bit when he addressed her by her first name. He had refused to do so up until then.

"Thanks Jason."

The door was open, and Hermione entered slowly.

"Hello, I was told someone asked for me?" She said slowly, not knowing which one of the patients had asked for her.

"Down here." She saw a hand wave closer to the other end of the room.

Hermione couldn't see the person at first, but a few steps and his face became more clear. Her heart began to race.

"Fred?" She ran forward and grabbed his hand as he stretched it out to her. "What are you doing here? They said you have some sort of muggle sickness, why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't want to scare you." He said with a smile. Looking at him, Hermione could see tiredness etched on his face. "The muggles don't have a cure for this, and the Healers are working on a spell but they haven't figured anything out yet. I'm too weak to stay at home now, so they checked me in."

"What do you have?"

"Leukemia."

"We'll figure something out, I promise." Hermione assured him, squeezing his hand.

"I just wanted you to know I love you, okay?"

She nodded. "Go to sleep, Fred. I'll be back later with some food."

Leaving the hospital wing, Hermione turned to Jason. "Who has been working on him?"

"Well Healer Roice has been working on a potion-"

"Tell him I'm on his research team now. No objections."