BH6-Breathing In The Chemicals

Okay, maybe running into a burning building wasn't my best idea.

It was instinct. Professor Callahan was in there somewhere.

"Tadashi!" I could hear Hiro screaming as I dashed forward. I felt my hat fall off and shrugged.

If I died, at least Hiro would have something to remember me by.

Diving through the door, I began to sprint for the exhibition floor.

"PROFESSOR CALLAHAN!" I screamed.

No response. At least not from the professor. I did get a completely different response, however.

The flames surged and I heard an explosion inside the building, one that pushed me onto my back.

Taking a ragged gasp of air, I recieved a mouthful of fiery gasoline.

What in the world exploded?

I tried to climb to my feet, but was knocked over by a secondary explosion.

Temporarily blinded, I heard something rattling past my head. They sounded surprisingly like...Hiro's Megabots!

"Hiro? If you're in here, get out!" I yelled.

No answer.

Stumbling up blindly, I began to run again, hoping against hope that I would get to the exhibition floor and find Callahan alive.

Finally finding the door I was looking for, I sprinted in between the abandoned experiments and prototypes, screaming, "PROFESSOR!" over and over.

I could feel the fire eating at my jacket and my pants.

He's not here.

My heart sank. He couldn't have survived this if he hadn't gotten out yet.

Turning, I started back towards the door.

A wall of fire blocked my path.

No.

I whirled again, heading for the back door.

A flaming light bank from the ceiling fell down in my way.

No!

I had to get back to the others.

To the gang.

To Hiro.

Steeling my nerves for the pain, I ran at the flames between me and freedom.

Vaulting over the burning poles, I yelled in pain as I felt the flesh on my hands sear off.

A section of roofing fell behind me and I ducked, using my arms to shield my neck and head.

Turning to look, I could see the moon through the opening in the hole.

Slowly, the burning sensation on my palms stopped. I looked down to see they were healed, if a bit red.

Curious, I reached out and touched the hot metal again.

No pain. The fire flowed over my fingers, leaving a warm tickling sensation.

Turning to where I was once again blocked by fire, I took a chance.

Focusing on the fire moving out of the way, I shoved my hand out like I was pushing the air in front of me.

It didn't work.

Frowning, I focused harder, not doing the hand gesture this time.

Slowly, the fire began to move away from me, providing a clear path to the back door.

"Yes!" I cheered.

A crash behind me propelled me forward.

I may be fireproof, for some unknown reason, but I am not immune to collapsing buildings.

Bursting out the door, I took a deep breath of the night air. Faintly over the roaring fire, I heard screaming.

Hiro.

I broke into a sprint again, rounding the building.

"HIRO!" I yelled.

I could see Aunt Cass trying to pull Hiro away from the flames.

"Tadashi's in there, Auntie Cass!" He yelled, wrenching his arm away.

"Hiro, don't!" Aunt Cass and I shouted at the same time.

Hiro heard me, but Aunt Cass must not have.

Your brother can see you. The others cannot. A voice whispered in my head.

"What?" I muttered out loud.

I'm sorry, young Guardian. Explanation is for a later time. Just tell your brother never to lose hope in you.

"Tadashi!" I kneeled down in front of Hiro.

"Listen, Bud, don't forget me okay?"

"Tadashi, why would I forget you?"

I sighed. "I can't give you the answers right now, but no matter what Aunt Cass says, no matter what the gang says, I'm here." I tapped his chest.

"Hiro, he's not coming out." Aunt Cass had caught up now. Her eyes passed right over me.

"What do you mean?" Hiro asked. "He's-"

"Hiro. It's too late." Aunt Cass pulled him into a hug.

Hiro squirmed slightly, probably trying to give me a confused look. I slowly rounded Aunt Cass and began to jog off. Turning to look at them again, I saw my little brother watching me with sad and confused eyes.

I looked down, then an idea popped into my head.

I held up a hand to wave at Hiro, then thought hard about my fingertips catching fire.

His eyes widened. I smiled sadly, then continued running.

"Wow, a whole building." A voice said next to me.

I turned and immediately tripped, surprise catching me off guard.

A teen floated in front of me. He had white hair and electric blue eyes. He was wearing a blue sweatshirt and brown pants, with no shoes. In his hand was a staff with a large hook on the top.

"I mean, it's unheard of. I fell in a lake, you blow up a building I just...wow."

His eyes were on the building behind me.

"Uh...who are you?" I asked slowly.

He turned and grinned.

"I'm Jack. You?"

"Tadashi."

"Well I gotta say, Tadashi, your eyes are kinda creepy. So is your hair."

"What?"

He waved a hand and the river under the bridge we were standing on froze over. I walked to the surprisingly clear surface and looked in.

"AAAH!" My hair was an unnatural red. My eyes were orange. I could see why he thought I was creepy.

"Wha-how?!" Jack laughed.

"You're a Guardian, Man. You have to fit the profile. I didn't know there was a fire Guardian. I'm snow and stuff."

Jack. It hit me.

Jack Frost.