MyUniverse-Blood Moon

Dolly POV

"You hear that?"

"Shut up, Mitchell, it's not funny anymore." I didn't even look up.

Being locked in a small cabin in the woods sucks.

Especially with someone like Mitchell.

"This isn't like the other times. I'm not joking, I seriously heard something."

I glanced up at him and realized that he wasn't goofing around. His eyes were wide and focused on the boarded window.

"What do you want me to do about it?" I asked.

"Check what it is!" Mitchell might have been the leader of the group, but he was definitely the most easily scared.

"Just do it before he craps himself." Andy muttered, not looking up from his laptop.

"Dude, how do you have service? We're in the middle of nowhere. Like, give me your wifi password or something." Marcus complained from the top bunk of the beds in the corner where he was counting the nails in the ceiling boards. Justin, on the bottom bunk, heaved his knees to his chest, then kicked the bottom of Marcus' bed, right where his butt was.

"Dude!"

"If Andy's gonna give anyone his wifi, it's gonna be me, right Andy?"

"No." Andy said tersely, tapping away at his keyboard.

Rolling my eyes, I got up and grabbed the baseball bat resting next to the door. "If I'm not back in six minutes, start writing a eulogy."

"Will do." Marcus called. "Anything to save me from this monster of boredom."

I sighed and threw the deadbolts open, pulling the door open afterward and hefting the baseball bat up so I could swing it at a moment's notice. As I pushed the door closed with my foot, I heard the latches on the inside click closed.

It was dark outside, but the red glare of the full blood moon helped me, my eyes adjusting faster than they would have in normal moonlight. I slowly moved in a semi-circle, stepping farther from the cabin with each sweep.

There was a quiet scuffling sound to my left and I whirled, cocking the baseball bat up and tensing.

A rabbit scampered into the brush, startled by my sudden movement.

I growled in irritation and started a new sweep.

Halfway through, something yanked the baseball bat out of my hands.

Twisting, I pulled my fists up to defend myself, but I was too slow.

A clawed hand grabbed me by the neck and slammed me into a tree, pinning me there.

"D-Damien!" I croaked. "I-I can't...c-can't breathe!"

It was a weak attempt, since his eyes were glowing red-gold, and I didn't expect it to work, but to my surprise, his grip loosened lightly.

"Sorry." He grunted, his voice sounding like rocks grating together rather than it's normal lyrical cadence.

"W-why'd you stop?" I asked, taking a breath of the cool night air.

"I hurt you." He seemed as confused as I was.

"But...but it's..." At a loss for words, I weakly gestured up to the moon.

His lips peeled back to show sharp canines. "Self-control."

"C-can you let me go?" I asked.

"I don't have that much self-control."

I tried to focus on his eyes, which still held the intelligence I knew was there, rather than the furry body and clawed fingertips that were digging lightly into the sides of my throat.

"Are you gonna...kill me?" I whispered.

"No!" he shook his head violently, almost like a wet dog.

"T-then what do you want? To turn me?"

His eyes stopped glowing all-together, turning to a warm brown. "I needed to warn you."

"You're the one we're hiding from." I reminded him, hoping I didn't trigger anything.

He shook his head. At first I thought he was contradicting me, but a second look revealed that his eyes were beginning to glow again.

"Back window...it's not-latched...properly." He grunted.

"How am I supposed to close it if you're gonna attack me?"

"I'm going to let you go."

"Like your wolf will let that happen." I pointed out.

Damien chuckled humorlessly. "I've fought him off this long for you, I can hold him a little longer."

"Damien-"

"Don't argue. The longer this takes, the harder it is to fight him. I refuse to let him hurt you."

I narrowed my eyes. "Was it you by the house?"

"Yes. Are we done talking about this?"

"No. Did you know I'd come out?"

"Yes." He grunted, gritting his teeth.

"But how-"

"Dolly! I am holding back a very hungry werewolf right now. Every fibre of my being says to rip your throat open, but I refuse to do that to you. Can we please get this over with before I do something I will regret?!"

Startled into silence at the implications of what he had just said, I nodded mutely.

"Good."

He released my throat and I rubbed it, glaring vengefully at him.

"Grab the bat!" He snapped.

I scrambled for the metal rod and grabbed it just in time. Damien's eyes flashed a full red-gold again and he charged me.

"Sorry, Damien." I whispered as I swung the bat at his jaw.

The unleashed werewolf fell back, howling in pain, and I took the opportunity to sprint for the house.

"Open the door, Mitchell!" I yelled as I entered the clearing.

He stepped aside when he did and I barreled right in, heading for the bathroom.

"Holy crap-he's right there!" Mitchell yelped, slamming the door closed. Justin leapt up and helped him throw the bolts, then hold it there while I latched the bathroom window properly and slammed down the bars that went on it.

"That was way too close."