Percabeth-Marriage Part 2

Third Person POV

The ceremony flew by in Annabeth's mind, disappearing in a flash that left her wondering what happened.

Before she knew what was happening, it was dark out and the last three guests, a blond boy and his tanned, brown-haired lover and a curly haired boy who was the definition of scrawny, were leaving.

Annabeth sighed, knowing what would come next. No matter how young and nice this Percy guy seemed, it was always expected that she comply with his wishes for the wedding night.

"Come now, darling, talk to me please?" The man she was just thinking of spoke behind her.

"Am I irritating you?" She asked, not turning to look at him.

"Only because I can't look at my beautiful new wife and tell her that she is just that."

Annabeth turned to face him, raising an eyebrow. "You're being nice."

Percy's brow crinkled. "Am I not supposed to be?" He looked genuinely confused.

Annabeth sighed and crossed her arms in front of her chest. "I assume that you'll be expecting me to do as I'm told tonight. But you will find that a certain amount of respect is required for me to comply and I will not be forced-"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! Who said anything about tonight? I asked if I was doing something wrong." Percy protested.

"But that's what you'll expect, is it not? I'm supposed to make you happy, my thoughts and wishes thrown out the window for you."

"Absolutely not!" Now Percy looked angry. "Who in Hades name told you that, that's preposterous!"

Annabeth stared at him, completely taken aback.

"Annabeth, we just got married. A marriage is a mutual bond, working together, not a slavery or ownership of one over another. I'm sorry you thought me such a despicable character that you believed I would force you into anything you did not wish to do." Percy gazed at her eyes, his own glowing with earnestness.

Annabeth felt her heart soar. She'd expected a callous, order-barking individual who insisted he had absolute power over her and who would force her into things she wished not to do.

"You are being completely honest with me?" She asked quietly.

"Of course." Percy responded, a smile twitching at the corner of his mouth. "I swear it on the River Styx of the Underworld."

Annabeth smiled, then a thought popped into her head.

"Why me? You've never met me, but I'm sure my reputation of difficulty with suitors has flown wide."

"I saw you once, a few years ago. There was a party of sorts in my homeland and kings and their children were invited from everywhere. You sat in the corner the whole while and read a book bigger than your head."

Annabeth remembered that. She hadn't been impressed by the island kingdom she had been brought to and showed it by her attitude.

"Then I was visiting here a few weeks ago on a diplomatic mission of sorts. My father is sick, I shall be king soon. You were in the garden, singing. I expected you to be picking flowers or something of the sort, but instead k found you practicing the art of archery.

"Your maid began to quiz you on matters of the countries and you answered with wit and poise, knowing what you spoke of and the best way to fix it.

"I knew then and there I wished to marry you. I was in love with the smartest and most deadly woman I'd ever laid eyes on."

He chuckled. "I still am, as a matter of fact."

Annabeth smiled at him, then saw her father slowly moving their way. Instantly the smile slid off her face.

"Love, what ails you?" Percy asked worriedly.

"Do not let my father make this into a treaty. This land has seen more artificial wars than the world has seen true ones. He will take advantage of anything you agree to."

Percy's eyes hardened significantly. "He will not. Not if I have a say."

"Happy wishes to the both of you!" Annabeth's father said jovially, clapping Percy on the back. "She'll treat you right, don't worry, or you have my permission to teach her a lesson."

"I'm sure that won't be necessary." Percy spoke coldly, his voice more deadly than a silver blade.

"Ah well, if you change your mind, go on ahead. Now, shall we discuss the terms of the agreement?"

"What agreement?" Percy asked, arching his eyebrow.

"Well we just bound our countries, did we not? An exchange of property, goods, soldiers, something is in order."

"I did no such thing, sir." Percy said acidly. "I married a girl who I believe to be the smartest, most beautiful, most deadly woman there is."

"She's my property, I expect some payment for her!"

Percy growled. "She is a human being, not a piece of property. And I already provided you with a dowry, that's your payment. Annabeth, would you like to pack your things or should we let him burn them and I'll buy you new ones?"