[3]

That morning I woke up and none of the boys were awake. I made myself some eggs and left a note. It read

"Dear Pony, Soda, and Darry,
I'm off to work. I will home around 3:00 to 3:30. See you soon.
Love,
Marie"

I then left for work. I worked at the high school as a lunch lady.

Half way threw the day Ponyboy walked past me. "Hey Pony" I said. "Hi." He said. "When dose Soda have lunch?" I asked. Pony looked sort of mad then said "He's a drop out." I shook my head and then the line kept moving.

After work I went to my apartment and told the land Lord that I was moving out. Then went and got my boxes and put them in the back of my truck. That's right I drive a truck. It is a lot like Darry's. When I got home I loaded all my stuff in mom and dad's old room. Then I walked out to the kitchen to talk to Darry about Soda. "Hey Darry I need to talk to you." I said. He looked up from the paper and said "Yeah what is it?" "Well today Pony told me he is a drop out and I was wondering why?" "Well when mom and dad died he dropped out to help pay the bills." "Well I can help with that I think he should go back to school." "Ok I'll think about that." Darry said. Yes Darry was younger then me but he had run this house hold for a year and I was not gonna take that away from him.

Right as I walked out to the living room two boys walked in. One was short looked about Pony's age or a little older. I'm pretty sure I saw him in the lunch line today. He was tan and had this look in his eyes of a lost puppy. The other looked a little older. About as old as Darry. He had a tan leather jacket on and was eyeing me up and down.

"Well hello pretty lady why are you here?" The tall one asked. He was obviously flirting with me. "Hey Dal back off my older sister." Darry said standing in front of me. "Wait when did that happen?" The shorter one said in a quiet voice. "When my mom was 17. She was put in a girls home her whole life and she found us yesterday." Pony said walking out from his room. The shorter one shook his head and the tall one started to eye me again. "So what's your name?" He asked. "Marie. What's yours?" I asked "and you to." I said pointing to the short one. "I'm Johnny Cade." The sho- Johnny said. "Dally, short for Dallas, long for Dal." He said. As Dally was talking Soda walked in. "Yeah Dallas Winston. Most people call him a player or a criminal but he's our buddy." Then another person walked in. He had some teeth out of place and a bird tattoo on his arm. Soda punched the guy in the arm and said "Marie, Steve. Steve, Marie." "Oh Soda did you find a new girl?" Steve asked. "No dude she's my sister!" "How did how did that happen?" "Well Steve when a man and a women love each other very much." Soda said but Steve intruded him by screaming " I didn't mean it like that!" Then another one walked in. He was wearing a Mickey mouse shirt and had a bear bottle in his hands. "Ok before you ask Marie Two-Bit, Two-Bit Marie. Marie his real name is Keith but we call him Two-Bit because he always has to put in his Two-Bit hence the name." Soda said. "And before anyone else asks she is 26 and was born when my mom was 17. She grew up in a girls home without a mom or dad and she found us yesterday." Pony added. Then I think his name was Two-Bit turned in the TV and starts to watch Mickey Mouse. Wich I was fine with because all the smaller girls used to watch it at the girls home.