[15]

Right away they took me into a room. They started to ask the boys questions then the doctor came over to search for a heart beat and other things. He put the cold stethoscope on my stomach and I shivered. "The baby is stable. He punched just above it. But I would like you to stay over night just to make sure." I then looked down and saw the bruise forming where he had punched. The Doctor then went over and told the rest of them the same thing. "I'll stay with her you guys go home." Dally insisted and they agreed. He came and sat down on the chair next to my bed. I grabbed his hand we sat there. We stayed up all night because every hour they came to check on me and the baby. "You know I'm gonna sue him." I said around 1 AM. He looked at me confused and said "Why?" "He almost killed our child plus he keeps beating Johnny I want him and that no good wife of his out on the streets and Johnny can come live at my house." Dal shook his head understanding. Then the doctor came in and put the cold stethoscope on my stomach. I clenched Dally's hand trying not to shiver. He said that the baby is fine and that he'll be back at two. Dally then crawled onto the small hospital bed as the doctor left. Then my eyelids started to get heavy and I dozed off.

I woke up to the doctor clearing his throat. I shook Dally and he quick hopped off the bed and the doctor did the same routine as usual. He did this for the rest of the night and at 8:00 he told us to go home. So we did. Darry came and picked us up. Right when we got home we both went to my room and fell asleep on the bed.