Chapter 9

Tris POV:
My father comes in with his kingly crown and my mother joins him at the table. The presentation is about to start and I keep eyeing the clock. 4:00.

"Your Majesty, you have a visitor." A man walks in. My father nods and the man sends in the visitor.
And then he walks in.

"It's an honor to be in the presence of the King and Queen of Abnegation." He bows.
What is Tobias doing here? He's supposed to be getting ready for our date?

My mother and father respond. "Who do we have the pleasure of meeting kind sir."

"My name is Tobias Eaton. Son of Blacksmith Marcus Eaton. We have a proposition for the rulers of this great kingdom."

And in that cue, the servants bring out our meal. Tobias sits down next to me and I turn my head so I'm facing away from him. He thinks I'm a servant. What will he say if he sees me with this tiara on my head?!
     A plate has been put in front of me but with a strange object on the plate.

"I present to you the latest creation of Eaton Works! You no longer have to eat with your hands!"

     Mom and Dad stare at the plate bewildered. What is this?

"Don't be fooled by its size! It may be small but it's purpose is powerful."

Dad picks up the item and stares at it. "It's just a small pitchfork? Are we supposed to poke our tongues with it?"

Tobias chuckles and answers. "No no Your Majesty. Quite the opposite! Let me demonstrate."

Tobias picks up the small pitchfork and stabs his bread with it. "You pick up your food with this, then you put it in your mouth! Your hands stay clean and you get all the delicious food kept in your mouth!"

     We all gaze at this creation in awe. He didn't get a speck of food on his hands! My father slams down the miniature pitchfork and smiles.

"Amazing! Absolutely unimaginable!"

Tobias smiles back. "I'm so glad you like it King Andrew. Your the first one to see this revolutionary item! And the price isn't bad either!"

Wait. Mom and Dad buy things from the townspeople? Is that how they get their money? Is that why he's trying to connect kingdoms?

"Princess Beatrice, you may leave now." My father states.

     I get up and curtsey to everyone. I don't turn to Tobias but I feel his gaze on me. I head to the hallway but don't leave. I stay and watch Tobias. My father and mother get up and shake hands with him. They must've accepted his offer. My father gestures for the royal treasurer. He hands Tobias 4 bags of gold. My parents leave. Tobias bows and walks towards the hallway...towards me.
     I take off my robe and hide my tiara in my pocket. I have to act like a servant. I find the closest thing to grab. I see a tray with a tea kettle and cups. I grab it and walk out. Tobias sees me and smiles.
"Hi." He grins.
Hi.