Chapter 14

Tobias POV:
I lied. I lied to Tris. But I couldn't break a date with Princess Beatrice. That would end badly. I walk back into the village and check the time on the clock. 5:00.... 5:00?! I wasn't supposed to take this long!
I sprint back to the workshop and I see that Marcus has locked up and left. Aw man. I'm in SO much trouble now! I sprint even harder back to my house and see Marcus standing in the living room looking out the window. In his hands is a belt...

"We're you kept prisoner by another kingdom?" He doesn't look at me but speaks calmly.

"No sir."

"Did you get beaten by bandits?"

The thought of getting beaten makes me shiver because I know that's what's coming. "No sir, I-"

"Did you sell any steel or iron because you had no reason to be this late unless ANY OF THOSE THINGS HAPPENED TO YOU!" His back is still turned away from me but his grip tightens on the belt.

"I was, Father. I sold the kitchen pitchforks to the King and Queen. I got double what we offered."

He turns around and he has this evil smile that most people would mistake for being sympathetic. "Why didn't you say sooner? Show me the money and let's have dinner."

I realize the bags of money aren't in my hand. I must've left it at the castle! My eyes widened and I frantically search my body for the bags of gold pieces. Marcus sees me searching and he brings back that scowl face.

He walks over to me and pulls back his hand. I put my arms up to cover my face.

"YOU LYING WORTHLESS PIECE OF TRASH!!! YOU DARE STEAL THE GOLD I WORKED SO HARD FOR!?! I PUT CLOTHES ON YOUR BACK AND FOOD IN YOUR MOUTH AND THIS IS HOW YOU REPAY ME??!!" He whips me and with every blow it get harder and stings worse and worse.

"It's at the castle!" I cry out to him going he can hear me.

He whips me a couple more times then he stops and wipes the sweat off his forehead.

"Then go get it back!"

I don't dare look up at him. But I try to sit myself up but with every movement I make, it's send a hot rush of stinging sensation through me.

"They won't let me back in." I croak. "I'm sorry Fath-"

"Don't call me that!" He whips me another time. "You'll just have to steal it back."

That's when I look up at him. "You want me to steal from the King and Queen?"

"It's not really stealing if they gave it to you in the first place. But they won't let you back in so you have to steal it back. Now go and don't come back until you get it."

I get up with the help of the wall. I stumble to the door and open it. Before I leave, I turn around and stare at the man who beat his own flesh.

"Are we always going to be like this? Scavenging for little bits of money, sleeping on cots on the floor, living a low life?"

He stares at me then does that evil smile again. "Soon, neither of us will ever have to do this again."

And with that, I walk out. He doesn't know that I understand but I know what he means about me.

And I'm not looking forward to what's in store for me.