I am given a Mission

I was shocked. It was like I've seen that man before but couldn't remember when and where exactly. I stared at the man for a while.

"You're wondering who I am." The man interrupted.

I found myself answering: "Exactly. Where did I see you sir?" I said taking a sit in front of him.

"You can call me Paolo." He introduced himself.

I raised an eyebrow: "Paolo what?"

"The last name is not important." He insisted.

"Ok fine." I said, "No last names. I heard you want to talk with me about something?"

"Indeed." He smiled, "But now I want you to tell me what happened in your dream."

"It wasn't a dream sir." I said, "It was real this time."

"I see." His voice was scary somehow, "So he wasn't lying!" He murmured and I could hear what he said. And you know I was curious sometimes so I asked: "Who?"

Paolo glared at me but answered immediately: "The guy you came with, here!"

He was talking about Fred of course.
"He told you?" I asked him.

"Not exactly. Actually he gave me hints of what happened but didn't tell how you got here. Of course because he doesn't know." The old man looked at me right in the eyes, and with a serious tone, he said: "I suppose you tell me what happened exactly. If you don't mind."

I looked at the man and immediately didn't trust him. Of course I minded telling him what happened with me! Who knew if he was using me to get to something. I thought about Selena and Elsa. Why would Selena bring me here without minding? And why and how Elsa had showed up so strangely? Could Selena been working for him? After thinking for about two minutes, I said: "You picked the wrong person sir. I don't have answers." I lied, "I don't remember anything."

Paolo took a deep breath and stood up. He advanced toward me with a smile on his face and put a hand on my shoulder: "You were wondering who I am." The old man said still smiling, "I am your uncle Jason, Paolo Ford."

I stood in my place in shock. I didn't know what to say or what to do. The only thing that escaped my mouth was: "I don't have an uncle." I could see Paolo was hurt somehow. I glared at him and said: "Tell me I am wrong."

"You are, Jason!" Paolo said raising his voice. He approached to take my hand but I kept it away. He looked at the ground and finally said: "You know where you are?"

I shook my head, so he continued: "You're somewhere special Jace. You are in the WI."

"What?"

"The White Institute. It's a school for wizards like you." Paolo said.

I didn't pay attention to the room until now. I looked at the white walls where 2 portraits were hanging there. I wanted to look closer and I did.
One of them represented a boy in white and black. The other was a map. I looked closer at the portrait of the boy. He looked blond and his clothes were from the 20th century.

"Is that you?" I asked, "You used to study here?" He nodded. "Why anybody ever told me I have an uncle?"

Paolo smiled and said: "I used to bring you here when you were five."

"Really?"

"Yes. But then your dad told me it wasn't the right time. So I disappeared from your life after a fight between us."

"Between you and dad?" I asked.

First he didn't answer. But as I waited, he said: "yes we fought. But that's all over now. After I knew about what he really is I didn't care about him ever since."

I felt angry at what he said, and then I remembered my father was on the dark side.

"Yeah..." I said, "I think I don't care about him anymore either because_"

"That's wrong!" Paolo surged, "You shouldn't be angry at him like I did!"

I didn't know what to say, I was confused: "But you said you... I mean you told me he is evil and_"

"That's it!" Paolo interrupted, "I could've saved him back then when I still had a chance but I didn't. Now it's up to you."

"I must save him? How? He was born with those powers and I can't take them from him. Can I?"

The old man raised his eyebrows and said: "No you can't. But you can convince him to control them!"

"He can do that?"

Paolo smiled and said: "You have a friend who's controlling his powers. I think you father can do that too."

I stared at the wall thinking. I had a friend who's powers are dark and he can control them?
I looked at Paolo and asked: "What friend?"

My uncle ignored me and said: "I think you should tell me now what happened with you before coming here."

I didn't have a choice, so I told him what happened exactly. When I was done he asked: "The other place, where you found yourself. Can you describe it for me?"

The truth was I didn't remember. I wanted to scream but Paolo said: "You can't describe it. That's because you don't remember, I understand."

I was relieved I didn't have to excuse myself again.

"Your mission." Paolo began, "Is in Rome."

"What mission?"

"Save your father of course. Don't you want him back?"

I looked at the floor, and for one second, I felt I didn't need my father anymore. But as I got back to my senses, I answered him: "Of course I want him back."

The man's expression turned serious as he walked back to sit on the chair behind the desk: "Very well then. You'll start in Rome. There is some students from the WI who'll help you there to find_"

"Um... Uncle." I interrupted him, "I have friends with me, 3 if you want. I'm sure they'll help me."

"You mean 2 friends."

"If you don't want to count Luke, then_"

"Luke?" Paolo laughed, "Why on earth would you reject Luke? I'm talking about your girlfriend."

I felt my face burning as he mentioned the word girlfriend, but my thoughts went immediately to what he said.

"Wait..." I said, "You mean Selena?What's wrong with her?"

"I'm sorry Jace. But secrets are what they are. Now about that mission_"

"Right." I interrupted him heading to the door, furious. I opened it and said those last words: "I'll find my father in Rome, with my friends' help. No need for your students. Convince my father to control his powers, and come back here. Right? Now thank you so much. And bye!" I closed the door behind me.