The Sacrifice

The prince said something else to the guards. They took us to a room and closed the doors. The room was empty.
(Why is there always empty rooms?)

I sat on the floor and hugged my legs. I was afraid about what Jaz has said. If they're going to kill Elsa, I would never forgive myself. I know it wasn't my fault, but if I'd reacted when they took her, maybe I could've been able to save her.

"Hey." Kate said kneeling next to me, "Don't worry."

"How?" I asked, "I lost one person I loved, and now they took the other."

"Selena didn't love you." Kate said.

I looked at her. For a second, I thought she was mom.

"How do you know that?" I asked.

Kate looked at Luke who didn't meet my eyes.
"Because she loved him." She pointed at Luke. "She tricked you to take you. She never actually loved you. Dark Wizards don't love. You can ask Luke."

I didn't know what Luke had to do with Dark Wizards, or how he could explain to me what Kate meant. He just took a deep breath before he said:

"Listen Jace. You know nothing about Selena or me. You know nothing about our past. You know nothing about Dark Wizards. Evil was never stronger than Good. And that's what the Dark Wizards were trying to deny, but of course they couldn't. They wanted to be the good ones because they knew that's how they could be powerful. You asked me if I was in Rome before. Yes I was. I was a Dark Wizard."

I couldn't believe what he was saying, but Kate kept nodding like if she knew that all along.

"Selena. She..." Luke continued, "She wasn't the Wizard of Separation. I was. Anyway, the Dark Wizards wanted power like I said. They created a spell capable to switch powers. Wizard used to make a deal every year, a reunion in the WI. But one day, the Dark Wizards invited the WI. Of course they didn't trust us back then, but finally they agreed. Selena was there, as well as Fred. When the reunion finished and everyone was about to leave, Dimetrios's father who was in charge, got up, and read the spell aloud. First, nothing happened, then a cloud of black mist filled the air. I felt myself weakening, then energy filled me as well. And I knew I was the Wizard of Love now. That's when I noticed Selena loved me. As a Wizard of Love, I can search everybody's heart and know if it's full of hate or love.
I ran to Selena's side, she just glared at me like if I was an old enemy. I knew she couldn't love me anymore, just like I wasn't able to love before that incident."

Now things started to light up. I understood so many things I couldn't understand before. But I had a question without answers.

"Was dad there?" I asked, "I mean, he was good before? Or he was bad from the first place and his marriage from mom wasn't built on true love?"

Luke studied me. Kate was staring. Perhaps they couldn't answer my question because they simply didn't know.

"I... I don't know." Said Kate, "Luke?"

"I don't remember." He said, "I never saw him with us before we changed."

"So Dimetrios's father became a good wizard?" I asked, "And Dimetrios wasn't there so his powers could be switched?"

"No. He wasn't there."

"The sacrifices will start now." Jaz said.
She didn't speak for a long while I almost forgot she was still here.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I told you." Luke said, "They tear you apart alive."

"And Elsa's one of them." Jaz added.

My mouth felt dry. I couldn't think straight now. I heard people chanting from the room's window. I took a look out. There was a large place the size of 2 football fields. In the middle stood the prisoners. In front of them sat the king, the prince on his left, the queen on his right. All around them, babylonians stood waiting for the sacrifices. My eyes were fixed on the prisoners, searching for Elsa. I could see her, she was the third one in line.

"We must do something!" I shouted, "I can't let them kill her!"

"Afraid you can't do anything." Jaz said.

The king stood with a dagger in his hand. The first prisoner approached, lying on the ground, the king stabbed the knife in his heart and shouted something.

I turned quickly, my heart racing. I couldn't watch Elsa die that way.

I put my hands on my ears and started to say:
"I'm dreaming. I must be dreaming. Wake up Jace. Wake up. Nothing is going to happen to Elsa. Nothing."

I know. I was going crazy. Then the king shouted, probably praying to his God, and I knew the second prisoner died, too.

It was Elsa's turn. I couldn't watch. I was talking to myself. Kate tried to calm me, but I wasn't listening to her.
Before I could lose my senses completely, I heard Elsa saying so aloud I could hear her saying:

"Jason! I'm sorry!"
A silent moment, and the king shouted again.

"No-o-o-o!" I yelled.

Luke was hugging Kate, who was crying now. I started to cry like a little kid. It wasn't supposed to end this way. I never thought I could lose Elsa. Then Jaz knelt next to me, giving me a hug.
I wanted someone to support me, so I hugged her back. I could feel her warm face against my neck. We stayed that way for minutes. Then the king shouted again. Another prisoner died. I pulled back and wiped my tears.

"Thanks." I told Jaz, "I want some space."