I Can't Touch the Pedal Thingy

Mitch followed Ben through the different hallways, observing what lay behind each door. In the Alicia Keys hallway were a few practice rooms with some pianos on the first floor, plus a fully stocked lounge directly behind the receptionist's station with two big couches, a large fridge, and two televisions. The hallway to the right consisted of a bunch of offices, but Ben didn't show Mitch any of those. The second, third, and fourth floor consisted of nothing but recording studios. There were two large ones on the second and third floors, and the fourth floor had three, slightly smaller than the larger rooms. On the fifth floor were smaller offices with computers and mixing tables and so many more things that practically blew Mitch's mind. On the same floor was another small lounge, very similar to the lounge on the first floor but minus one television. Everyone he met was so welcoming, including Elle King, who allowed Mitch to sit in on her recording session to get a feel for things. Elle made a new fan out of Mitch quite instantly.

"So, I'm going to need to listen to your demos again today, so I'll let you go for the day. But please, feel free to stick around and check the place out. Go hit up a room and play the piano and get a feel for our beautiful grand pianos." Ben led Mitch back to the lobby and watched as Mitch dug in his bag for his demos. He handed them to Ben and watched as Ben nodded, raising the demos, and disappearing back in the right wing.

"So, what do you think of the place? Super cool, right?" Fia popped up from behind the desk, having not been there only seconds before, which startled Mitch.

"Were you there the whole time?" Mitch placed his hand on his chest and laughed.

"Yeah. I'm sneaky. What can I say? So, did you like it?" She sat down in her chair and spun around once and crossed her legs, leaning back in her chair and placing her hands on her knees.

"I loved it! It seems so huge right now, but that's because I haven't become familiar with anything yet." Mitch took a step towards the desk and leaned against the upper level, examining his cuticles and making mental notes to go home and pamper.

"You will get used to it in no time. I find some time to escape and go record a few things of my own while I'm here. I don't think I've got the skills to get signed, but it's still fun to pretend."

"Hon, don't you ever doubt yourself. I'd love to hear you sometime. What do you play?"

"I play the piano a little, but I'm better at the ukulele. My voice is alright." Fia looked to the ground as if she were growing embarrassed.

"Fia, right?" Mitch saw her nod for confirmation. "Whenever you're free, please let me hear something."

"You've got to be good friends with me first, Mitch. I won't just give my talent away to anyone," Fia tapped her nails on the table and grinned.

"That should be no problem. You love chartreuse, Rilakkuma, you've got a great sense of fashion, and you love music... I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship." Mitch watched as Fia looked at her fingernails while picking up her Rilakkuma pen.

"I bet you don't have a Rilakkuma onesie, do you?"

"Girl, don't judge a book by its cover. I most definitely have a Rilakkuma onesie."

"Oh. My. God. Can I hug you?" Fia stood up, becoming way too excited. Mitch found it adorable, so he indulged her and leaned over the counter for a hug. "I'm so excited. I don't really get to befriend many people up here since they're all too busy or here for one thing... record and get out." She chuckled and sat back down. "You, Scott, and Ben are the only people I tend to converse with."

Ott-sco is Scott. Duly noted. "That's a shame. You're so friendly! You won't have to worry about me. I'll talk to just about anyone."

"Good." Fia got distracted by the phone ringing, and she frowned. "I'm sorry. I've got to take this."