Nutella Police

"Are you sure this is even going to work?" Fia tapped on her desk, scrolling to the beginning of the video and covering her mouth. "I'm so embarrassed with the outcome. Like, did you see my face?"

"Your face is beautiful. Shut up, sis. And god, no. I think it'll be so cute and, well, hopefully effective. I've got to edit a few things into the video before I can show it to him. I want to make it perfect, but I think seeing a familiar face in the video will make it helpful. I mean, technically he doesn't remember me. He'll remember you for sure, so that might make it easier." Mitch sat back down in his seat. While he watched their reactions against each other he was on edge, hoping that everything would be perfect. It was a perfect representation of what he wanted Scott to see.

"I sure hope so. I'd love to see him getting on with his life and making new friends." Fia smiled and placed her hand on top of Mitch's. "I'd love to see him remember you... or at least want to get to know you more."

"Trust me, girl. I think about that every damn night before I go to bed. He literally won't get out of my mind." Mitch sighed and put his head in his hands. "Fuck me for falling for a guy who can't remember me."

"Hey, now. True love comes in all cases, no matter if they remember you or they don't."

"I never said love."

"I know."

---

The Day Before...

"How's the recording coming?" Ben's voice broke through Scott's silence. He sat on the piano bench, his head in his hands, frustration beaming off of him.

"Ugh. I'm feeling super unsuccessful today." Scott glanced at Ben momentarily before rubbing his hand across his face. "Do you ever feel like you're just going backwards?"

"I do." Ben walked in and Scott scooted over on the bench so Ben could sit down next to him. "Often times I just need a break to just play whatever comes to mind. I make up a chord progression," he said while playing around with a nice progression on the lower end of the piano. "And I just play around with it. I use a bit of music theory to relieve me of my problems."

"It's not that. It's my lyrics." Scott laughed with uncertainty and grabbed his journal and flipped open towards the middle. "I don't remember using these lyrics at all, honestly. I don't remember writing them. There's a ton of them, but they all make absolutely no sense to me. Like, let me read this to you." Scott flipped through and found the perfect one to read to Ben. "Spiraling down, don't make a sound. Nothing's gonna hurt you, not while I'm around... do you like the tease?" Scott chuckled and continued to read. "Puzzles in my head, better off dead. Breathe in and out and rest your head... like, when did I write these, and what was I smoking?"

"Well, the Into the Woods reference was pretty nice." Ben smirked. "I don't know. Maybe you've written these and just forgotten about them?"

"I guess so. I seem to forget a lot today. I mean, this morning Kirstin woke up with short blonde hair. When the hell did she do that? And I looked into the mirror and just felt different today. I feel like I've secretly been asleep for a month and have woken up and things have changed. I don't recall writing these lyrics. I don't remember her ever changing her hair. I sure as hell don't remember my hair being an inch longer than it was." Scott grabbed Ben's wrist. "Am I going crazy?"

"You've always been crazy, kid. You just need to breathe. You're stressing out way too much today." Ben put his arm around Scott's shoulder and shook him gently. "Life gets even weirder as you get older, but I promise you that it'll be okay in the long run as long as you keep that head of yours on your shoulders."