Tell Me Why

"C-can I ask you a question?" Scott stepped forward once more, leaving only a small gap between them. Mitch nodded gently. "Have we met before tonight?"

Mitch began to quickly think about his response, granted it was difficult to think straight with the alcohol in his system and with the guy he was still hopelessly in love with standing close. There were many more important questions that needed to be asked before this question, such as why on Earth was Scott at the club, and furthermore, why was he drunk? He never got drunk. The few times he was offered a drink when he was with Mitch he politely refused. He was strong on his word, which Mitch simply admired. Sometimes alcohol was the temporary reaction to something really harsh. Maybe Scott was having a really bad day and this was what he turned to? If so, it must have been really bad enough to want to forget immediately, though his quick remedy could be just to fall asleep and forget all about it in the morning. It was a sad thought, but it worked.

But, back to the response. If Mitch said no, they haven't met (which is what he wanted to do), there could be countless possibilities. Scott might shrug it off and walk away, endangering himself because he would get more and more drunk and then, well, who knows? He could endanger himself. But, a good solution would be to have Avi and Fia "stumble" upon him and try to take him home. He couldn't leave the club without knowing that Scott would ultimately be safe. But then Mitch wouldn't understand why Scott had felt they had met before that night, which brings him to what would happen if he said yes to Scott's question. Maybe Scott's memory was coming back? Or maybe he still had a few photos and had looked at them that day? Mitch would get another chance with Scott and could maybe start fresh... which poses a problem of this situation happening all over again, and god knows one heartache is plenty. Then, Mitch thought of a con for if he had said no. Maybe Scott would have stayed and talked to him about the guy he could barely remember. He'd tell him what he could about this guy, and knowing that he was only talking about the person in question would've torn Mitch to shreds and he would have to explain.

"H-have you answered yet? Because I'm pretty drunk and I might have just totally missed it." Mitch became more aware of just how drunk Scott was, especially when he stumbled forward and put his hands on Mitch's shoulders.

"Come on, let's go sit down and then we'll answer questions, big guy." Mitch wrapped his arm around Scott's waist and ushered Scott's arm around his neck and he walked him over to a little lounge area where there were only a few people talking and minding their own business. Mitch set Scott down on the booth side so he couldn't tip a chair over and he sat next to him, angling slightly so he could still face him. "Do you remember the question you asked me?" Mitch almost hoped that Scott would have forgotten so he didn't have to pick and choose. He could've helped him home and called it a night.

"Of course I do," Scott said with a sling of his head, trying to find awareness of the space around him. He held onto the table and moved his mouth, trying to form the words. "I... I asked you if I had ever met you before."

Of course he remembers that, Mitch thought, tapping the table and raising his hand up to fix his fringe, a little nervous for the outcome. So, he said the first answer he felt confident saying. "You have..."

"God, I knew it." Scott put his arms around Mitch and kissed his cheek repeatedly. "I fucking knew it. I just knew it." He turned Mitch's head so he was facing him, eyes connected, though wary due to the alcohol level. "I just knew it. I could feel something. I felt it when I kissed you. And your face--YOUR FACE." Scott rubbed a hand on Mitch's cheek. "I couldn't even forget that face in my dreams. I app... apparen... appa-rently dream about you and then I write about it a lot. Like, a lot. I get hand cramps."

Mitch was on the verge of losing it. He was truthfully shocked at how well he held his composure. But he could feel the tears coming... and he was more than grateful to be in this dark club and even more grateful that Scott couldn't see clearly. So, when a tear fell hard, Scott couldn't see it. Mitch raised his hand up and cleverly wiped it away and nodded. "That makes a lot of sense, Scotty."