Dear Mitch

Dear Mitch,

This was the hardest decision for me to make. Please understand this. I did it with you in mind. I'll wake up tomorrow and not remember any of this, but I'm more concerned about you now. I've learned that my entire life is a set-up but I only care about you... which makes this departure even harder.

As I told you earlier, I'm moving to the Institute. I spoke to Dr. Olusola about it on the phone earlier and he approved of the decision. He said it might be good for me down the road. He didn't necessarily say that it was a brilliant idea now, but at least I will be relieving the burden I've put upon everyone. I found out how I get money at RCA. Ben has set me up on payroll and Kirstin set up an automatic deposit so I constantly have money. She's been monitoring my bank account for me. I usually sat down and figured out the bills on Mondays, so I've been in a constant repeat of a Tuesday. She monitors my money for me and makes sure I'm never without. If I move to the institute I'll be getting paid for teaching music to the kids who have similar problems to me. I'll be doing better there, and I'll be helping people.

I sought for my music to be a helping tool... to speak through my lyrics. I haven't been able to write many songs, if any at all, since I lost my memory. I've been re-writing verses because my mood changes every day. I've got a book that I write my music in and I've got a dozen songs that are unfinished and, frankly, I want to toss it. I want to burn it because I hate having something unfinished. It pains me to know that I've got brilliant things in there with no recollection of how they came to be. There's one I wrote in there that I did finish. It's not very lyrical, but I wanted you to read it. It looks like it could be about you. It's on the back of this paper.

Mitch, I see a beautiful future for you. I see you becoming famous someday and being so humble, conscious of how much you're helping people through your music. Do me a favor? Get to this point in your life, please. Do it for me. Be a light in the world for anyone who is hurting. And, do me another favor...

Don't keep the photos. Don't keep this letter after you've read it. I know you can't erase memories as frequent (and unwilling, in my case) as I can, but you need to let go. Please let go of me. Find someone new. Burn these photos. Let it be a release... 

It's safe to say that I fell in love with you, Mitch. I don't see how anyone couldn't easily fall in love with you. Everything about you is absolutely stunning, perfect, magical, entrancing, lovable, sexy... I could carry on with adjectives but none would describe you completely. You're indescribable, Mitch. Give someone else the chance to have a taste of what I had.

Kirstin is already on board with this idea, so don't try to tell her otherwise. I'm doing this for you. It'll be okay in the end, Mitch. You're young and you've got so much life to live.

Love, Scott Hoying

---

It's a little bit funny, this feeling inside
I'm not one of those who can easily hide, I
Don't have much money but boy, if I did
I'd buy a big house where we both could live

If I was a sculptor but then again, no
Or a man who makes potions in a traveling show
Oh, I know it's not much but it's the best I can do
My gift is my song
And this one's for you

And you can tell everybody this is your song
It may be quite simple but now that it's done
I hope you don't mind
That I put down in words
How wonderful life is while you're in the world

I sat on the roof and kicked up the moss
Well, a few of the verses, well, they've got me quite cross
But the sun's been quite kind
While I wrote this song
It's for people like you that
Keep it turned on

So excuse me forgetting
But these things, I do
You see, I've forgotten
If they're green or they're blue
Anyway, the thing is, what I really mean
Yours are the sweetest eyes I've ever seen

And you can tell everybody this is your song
It may be quite simple but
Now that it's done
I hope you don't mind
That I put down in words
How wonderful life is while you're in the world
I hope you don't mind
That I put down in words
How wonderful life is while you're in the world

Okay. So this isn't my song. I'm not the legendary Elton John. But I constantly wrote these lyrics in my journal, just because I could. I'd like to think that I wrote them on the days I met you. So, here's your song. Literally.

The world was always a bit brighter with you in it.

Love, Scott