Etch-a-Sketch

Mitch lay down on his couch with the hairy hairless cat snoozing audibly at his feet. He was taking the end of the safety pin in his hands and plucking it backwards, listening to the sound of the metal retracting and going back to its original position. Empty reminders of a past life. That's what this safety pin now represented. He claimed that he had physically moved on. He tried seeing other people but never went home with anyone. That familiar, eyebrow-less face would always clutter his thoughts. The idea of going home with anyone who wasn't Scott Hoying was out of the picture. It wasn't an option.

Despite the depressing state that he was in, Mitch had grown quite successful. He spent the past two months really locking down an EP. There were only six songs on the album, but Ben was extremely proud. Ben's favorite track was Mitch's cover of 'Your Song' by Elton John. When asked why he chose that song in particular his response was I don't know, I forgot. But it sounds great, doesn't it? He would never forget. So, he made that song to pay homage to someone who chose to forget.

It was the day of the album release and Fia and Avi tag teamed and decided to throw Mitch a big party at RCA. They both saw him extremely unhappy and figured that a dose of friendship and surprise would make him feel better. However, he spoiled his own surprise by eavesdropping in on Fia's conversation with Avi over the phone, but Fia figured it was for the best because he reacted so well when he heard about it. He really did miss spending time with both of them. Avi was always so busy with the Academy but they had their weekly beer (and hard cider) chats by the fire. Mitch always saw Fia when he went to RCA but he'd often come in and seem really down. And then a beast would unleash on the piano.

The good thing that came out of this pain was his music. He hadn't made music any better until now, recycling some of his old tunes. He even used a few lines that Scott had written, sneaking them in at appropriate moments. And the lyrics were extremely strong. It was a perfect blend of his own lyrics, plus Scott's influence here and there. He did a good job at masking the lyrics to make them not sound extremely depressing, but his sadness always found a way to shine through.

I know you don't remember me / When you were nineteen I was twenty-three/ Time had stopped for beautiful you/I kept on aging and loving, too

I know you can only dream of me and you/ But somehow you figure it out, you always do / Somewhere in time you'll remember me / I'm inside the torn pages of your autobiography

You hold me together when I'm falling apart / You're the safety pin for my broken heart

Mitch figured he needed to get ready for his party, so he threw on his favorite outfit, fully equipped with the safety pin on his jacket like anyone else would wear a pin. It gave him a sense of confidence that he felt he didn't have anymore. But, it made him feel good knowing he'd always carry a part of his forgetful boy, whom he could never forget. It was his own personal torture.

He made it to the party and his music was streaming through the speakers, though he was ignoring every lyric he wrote. He listened to his chord progressions and mentally blocked out the words. That's what got him through the night... that and the occasional vodka tonic, plus Fia and Avi's distractions whenever Your Song came on. He owed them everything under the sun, yet all they wished for was his happiness. They got to see a bit of that that night, and it meant the world.

---

Scott developed a new, painful routine at the Institute. Every morning he would wake up, thinking it's Tuesday, August 10th, 2010. He would wake up with a crick in his neck from an uncomfortable sleep, mostly due in part of his dreams consisting a brown haired, brown eyed boy that he could never place. Some of his dreams were normal, just seeing a boy walk past him and wave, but he had no face. Other dreams were more vivid, giving him other visuals. Tattoos. The boy loved Spongebob. And then there were other dreams that would wake him up feeling quite flustered, thankful he was alone in the room. He would wake up, expecting to feel his sheets. See his ceiling. Instead he saw what looked to be a hotel room. The rooms in the Institute were welcoming, seeing as how it might be alarming to wake up and not see your own bedroom.