{ 16 } - News

{Seven minutes earlier}

Dan's pov

My eyes clouded over as I thought more of Phil, but at the same time, tried to keep myself from breaking down and crying.

For fuck's sake, Dan, get a grip.

I was still lost in my thoughts when suddenly, the nurse from earlier approached me. I sat up in my chair and studied her expression.

She didn't look like she was about to tell me good news.

"How are you doing, love?" She asked gently when she reached me.

"I'm alright." I answered shortly, attempting to smile at her.

"How're your friends?"

"They seem fine," we both glanced across at them sleeping.

"Good."

"So..." I began, wanting to get to the point. "How's -"

"Phil?" She interrupted.

"Yeah. How is he?"

"He'll be fine." She said reassuringly, but then her face darkened.

"If... If we can get him to wake up."

"What?" I said, my heart racing.

"I'm so sorry, love, but it appears your friend Phil is in a extreme hypotherotelical coma and he hasn't shown any signs of waking yet. He -"

"What?" I said, eyes wide.

"Yes, love. I am so incredibly sorry."

"I..." My heart had dropped into the floor. Phil was in a coma and it was all my fault and I might never be able to tell him I'm sorry if he never wakes up and my life would be nothing and I'd be -

"Love, calm down, you're shaking like a leaf, you're going to be fine -"

She abruptly stopped talking when I leant forward and placed my head in my hands and sobbed. I felt her hands rubbing my back.

I cursed myself. I looked like a right twat right now. I forced myself to sit up and look at the nurse properly. Everything was happening so fast. I needed a moment to catch up.

No. Surely. No.

Phil? In a coma? Phil?

No.

"Look, love, we are doing all we can to get your friend Phil to wake up, we're giving him all the treatment we can. It is possible he'll wake up, but it's possible he won't."

I sniffed loudly. The nurse reached into her uniform pocket and pulled out a tissue and handed it to me. I wiped my eyes and thanked god for this lovely woman who was being so kind and patient with me. She sat down in the chair next to mine. And looked into my eyes thoughtfully.

"You know what, love. I know exactly how you feel and what you are going through. Because, when I was sixteen, my brother fell into a coma after being hit by a cyclist when he was coming home from school. He meant a lot to me, and I stayed day after day at the hospital. I prayed and prayed that one day he would wake up."

Her eyes were clouding over and she was staring off into the distance.

"But he never did."

She looked back at me with a sad smile.

"Sorry for upsetting you with the news about your friend Phil. You seem to be very close."

"We are." I smiled in spite of myself.

"I hope everything goes well for him and you."

"I hope so too."

"Would you like to see him?"

"Yes please."

Phil. 

Phil.

Phil. The man who I loved more than myself and everything about myself.

The nurse stood up and I followed behind her as she led me down a corridor, my legs shaking violently. I placed a hand on the wall as I walked to keep myself standing. She turned round to face me as she walked.

"Love, what's your name?"

"Dan. Dan Howell." I croaked.

"Nurse Hadley, but you can call be Sarah," she grinned at me. "Ask for me if you ever need anything."

"Thank you, for being really patient with me."

"That's fine, love. That's fine."

No. Surely. No.

Phil? In a coma? Phil?

Yes.

A/N: i remember one of you shits actually commented on the first chapter saying something like "DOES PHIL FALL INTO A COMA?" and i guess you're sidekick. congrats.