{ 2 } - Reassurance

{3 1/2 HOURS EARLIER}

Dan's POV

We were getting close to the restaurant, so I picked up my backpack from the floor of the taxi and got ready to step out of the cosiness of the dark London cab.

I stepped out of the taxi and Phil followed in my wake. We walked inside the beautiful chinese restaurant, the warmth and the smell of food wrapping us up from the bitter december air. The comforting noise of talking and the clatter of plates against China filled the large, overly-decorated room.

I glanced around and found my parents sitting at a table not far from the back. They waved us over and smiled, clearly excited to see us both after so long.

"Well aren't you two dressed very smartly!" said my mum, standing up as we reached their table. I kissed her on the cheek and gave my dad a big hug as he stood up. They hadn't changed, they still had their kind old smiles.

"Hello, son. It's good to have you back." My dad smiled and ruffled my hair.

"Dad!..." I whined, instantly placing my hands on my hair to straighten it again, and to flick any loose hairs off my forehead. I caught Phil giggling at me out of the corner of my eye, and I turned and tried to swat him with my hand.

We settled in our seats and began talking. We talked about life, and family and friends. Phil talked about YouTube and the best things about being Internet famous. I moaned about how annoying some of our fans were and Phil argued with me and said our fans were "creative" and "intelligent". I reminded him about "certain fanfics" that had been written, and he shuddered as my parents looked at us in a puzzled way. Moving away from that subject quickly, Phil explained about his "Draw Phil Naked" at the end of every video, and how it was designed to the let the fans let their creativity roam free and Mum and Dad found it hilarious. I told them about my "Sexy Endscreen Dance" and went all red in the face when Mum told me to watch out for crazy fans who might slobber over the screen whilst I'm rotating my hips to the camera.

At this exact moment, the waitress had come up behind Mum and had asked her if she wanted to order yet. The waitress kept giving my Mum a funny look, and we all tittered as we realised she had heard my mum say "Slobbering over a screen whilst you, Dan, are rotating your hips in front of a camera." Dad threw his head back in laughter as the waitress walked away, and I looked at Phil who grinned and winked slightly.

It was lovely. I was so happy, just sat there, in the warm restaurant, eating amazing food, surrounded by the people I loved. But there was only one thing on my mind.

I was worried that either of us would let it slip. I really hated the idea of my parents knowing about us, and how much we cared for each other, and yet I didn't want to continue lying to them either. They just saw us as best friends, but we were far more than that. I was so worried something would happen, like I'd make a mistake, or let something slip.

I looked at Phil. He stared back at me.

He grinned at me reassuring and patted my knee under the table.

"... They don't have to find out until you're ready...

I promise."