{ 38 } - Mess

Phil's POV

-

I stood, stock still outside of the hospital, watching the ambulance drive away through the barriers. I sighed and brought my hands around my waist, like I was supporting myself and stopping myself from keeling over in the car park.

I felt so defeated and weak, like I was useless... I hated this so much; Sarah and PJ and Chris were pushing me away and putting me down because I had fallen down the stairs that one night, all those weeks ago.

But as the cool breeze hits my face, I let my arms fall to my sides as the small rush of wind pushes the fabric of my shirt against my skin. It almost airs me, I guess you could say. It's nice being outside. As soon as PJ, Chris and Sarah had left the room, I had whipped on my clothes and chased after them. It hadn't worked, though.

I spend a few minutes waiting, and then turn on my heel back to the hospital again.

When I return to my hospital room, I spend a few minutes searching for something that barely weeks ago, I could not live without it; my phone. I soon found it in a drawer in the dresser on the side of the room.

It was so cold, I almost dropped it when it came into contact with my warm fingers. I hit the on button at the top and it responded immediately, showing me the familiar Apple layout of the lockscreen.

Oh.

My breath hitched as I stared aimlessly at the lockscreen background; a photo of Dan and I under a blossom tree that our friends Duncan and Memei had taken of us on our holiday to Japan. I grinned at Dan's huge smile as he had his arm protectively placed on my shoulder, one of the only photos that hadn't been posted somewhere on the internet. It's funny, I remember exactly what happened when that photo was taken.

"We'll stand here." says Dan as he pulls at my arm, taking us both off the path and towards a tall and pretty blossom tree. As we enter under it, he grins widely and we both turn to face Duncan, who is holding my phone.

"Three, two, one... Done!"

"Thanks Du-" But I stop in my tracks.

I look up to see Dan giving me such a affectionate look; he's staring at me. He catches me looking, but instead of awkwardly avoiding eye contact, he looks me straight in the eye and smiles. His brown eyes are filled with so much happiness, but I don't say that out loud. That's really too cheesy. He would laugh at me.

"What?" I ask, slightly uncomfortable when Dan's eyes are staring into mine.

"Nothing." Dan breaks out into a bigger smile and we just stand there, like the awkward dorks we are until I snort from the awkward tension and we both burst into laughter.

I'm about to turn back to Duncan again when Dan grabs my sleeve and pulls me towards him.

"Dan-"

I panic, wondering what he's planning on doing. We can't ever risk doing stuff that's remotely couple-y in public, just in case.

But he simply pulls me into a hug. Not a romantic one, not a needy one. Just a best friend hug. It's not at all awkward anymore. And we both stand there, cherishing the moment as the blossom falls down around us, decorating our clothes with small and big pale pink splotches. We pull away and grin like crazy. As we head back to our hotel with Memei and Duncan walking in front, I glance at Dan. He has his hands in his pockets, and he's staring at his feet.

With a huge smile plastered across his face.

As I swipe right on my lockscreen, I suddenly have a blank of what my four-digit passcode is.