{ 34 } - Notes

Sarah's POV

-

"SARAH! SARAH, COME BACK!"

In a flash, the two boys and I are yanking the door and bustling straight back in the room after hearing Phil's cries.

"What is it, Phil?!" I asked worridley. He looked alright, he didn't seem in pain. Maybe he wanted something? Christopher and PJ were leant over the bottom of the bed, anxious faces awaiting Phil's answer.

"I completely forgot!" Said Phil, bringing his hand up to his forehead.

"Forgot what?" Christopher and PJ both chimed in at once.

"I forgot to ask where Dan is? Is he okay?"

"Dan?" I said. I suddenly realised I hadn't seen him all morning, but I thought nothing of it.

And that was when I made my first mistake.

"I haven't seen him all morning, but he must be alright, Phil. Dan's not one to go and do anything stupid."

"But-"

"Come on Phil, I really need you to get some rest. You'll feel much better-"

"But Dan's-"

"Sleep, Phil." I ordered, trying not to raise my voice too much. I pushed him back down onto the pillows by his shoulders. His eyes said he wanted to protest, but he relaxed his shoulders and settled further into the pillows that surrounded him.

"Alright, Sarah." He sighed as he closed his eyes, turning on his side as he let out a long sigh. I turned and quietly ushered Christopher and PJ out of the door, closing it softly behind me.

* * *

"Thank you, Sarah," said Christopher, pulling me in for a hug. "We'll visit him again tomorrow. Goodbye." They both gave a cheeky wave before turning their backs on me.

I watched the two of them as they walked through the revolving doors and out into the car park. They had a bounce in their steps, and it made me smile as I watched Christopher turn to PJ and grin.

I was proud of myself and Marcus and what we had achieved. The smiles we've made today when we've told our work colleagues that we had broken through an incredibly strong coma with no help whatsoever. I was very pleased with myself and Marcus.

The rest of the morning passed serenly. The hospital atmosphere seemed so much more calmer to me, now I knew Phil was happy and safely sleeping, in no danger at all. I felt the best I had felt in so long, and I was almost glad that these four young men had been brought into my life through a tragic accident. I felt heroic, in some shape or form.

But as I worked throughout the afternoon, I knew I had something on my mind, something esle that was bugging me. Everytime it brought a lingering thought into my head during the afternoon, I shrugged inwardly and continued with whatever I was doing. But there was something wrong. Like that feeling when you know you've forgotten something, but you can't put your finger on it.

At about five o'clock, I returned to my office to collect some papers for the doctors I had been working with for the afternoon. As I entered my office, I went to my desk and sat down in my chair as it squeaked in protest. I let out a loud yawn, realising how tired I was and rested my head in my arms for a few minutes, longing to go home after all these weeks of staying at the hospital overnight, lying sleepless on the cold narrow bed in the doctor's night shift department. I couldn't wait to go back home.

After my mini siesta, I returned to looking for the paperwork and picked it up, the brown paper rustling in my arms as I looked back to give the room a quick scan before leaving. But I stopped in my tracks when my attention was drawn to a small piece of paper attached to the bottom of my desk lamp. I was slightly crumpled, and looked like it had been roughly ripped from a notepad. I knew it wasn't mine. I always made sure my desk was spotless. So what was it?

Putting the paperwork back on the desk after curiosity had overcome me, I snatched the paper from the lamp and squinted at it. The writing was barely readable; it was scrawled and smudged, probably written in a haste. But I still read it, and I was so glad I did.

It was this note that saved a boy called Dan Howell's life.

To Sarah,

I have to write this quickly because I'm not meant to be in your office. I came to say thanks for everything you've done for me. It means a lot. Take care of Phil, whatever state he's in. Good luck with everything.

Dan

Because it was then that I realised,
Dan is one to do something stupid.

And as I'm running at top speed to reception, I know that we have to stop Dan from whatever stupid thing he is going to do as soon as we possibly can.

Because we are running out of time.