You Can't Tell Anyone (26)

Josh had you down the stairs and into his car within seconds, you barely had time to register what was happening before you were zoomed off to your doctors office. His face of concentration was something you had, over time, forgotten. There were certain things you missed, such as his concentrating face.

The way his nose crinkled as he kept his focus, the way his brows furrowed and the seriousness that took over him still couldn't hide the fact that he was the big soft cuddle machine you knew and once loved.

You moved slightly in your seat as you were admiring the way he weaves in and out of traffic because he cared about you. But, as your seatbelt shifted across your tummy, another round of pains swept through you, your eyes clenched shut and a small whimper left your lips, you immediately felt the speed of the car pick up as you assumed Josh must've noticed the urgency. You were riding out the pain but t all suddenly floated away as the familiar feeling of fingers sliding against your palm made your eyes spring open.

Josh had notice how uncomfortable you were and by the look on his face he could practically feel the pain you could, just watching you in pain was enough for him. He decided the best and only thing he could think of was the calming technique you had when you were together. Whenever you were scared or anxious or in pain, he knew that the feeling of his hand in yours always made it better.

The feeling of someone within your grasp made you feel at ease, it comforted you to use someone caring enough to show you how much they're trying to help just by the simple gesture. For some reason the gentle caress of his palm on yours was always favoured, even now, his touch seemed to work better than anyone else's, even Harry's.

He didn't need to say anything, the look on his face softening and the gentle circles he was rubbing into your hand with his thumb was enough to calm your nerves so you could focus on the breathing techniques. Although you're at least 5 months early you're still prone to birth. It's the baby's safety that's the worry. After all of this you weren't prepared to lose them.

Josh had parked up, pulled you out and thrown you into a wheelchair before you could even try to get you're seatbelt off yourself. He was currently wheeling you through the hospital, his speed and sudden turns making you feel insanely nauseous, the pain added was only making it worse.

"Hello, my name is Josh Zerka and this is my-" he hesitated as he looked to you, completely stuck for what to say before he turned back to the blonde nurse.

"Girlfriend. This is my girlfriend and we are here" he said, taking your hand to make full effect. The thing was; he had completely neglected the fact that he needed to actually explain why himself and his "girlfriend" we're even here.

"Congratulations... Is that it?" She asked, her face was a mixture of confusion and amusement. She must've thought that you'd escaped from a psych ward and was aimlessly wondering the hospital together, claiming your nonexistent love for each other.

"Oh! Yeah uh, my girlfriend is called Y/F/N and she's four months pregnant but she's got some really bad pain in her stomach. We're a little concerned because she said it felt like it could be labour but we're obviously s little early." The majority of his sentence was rushed into one breath, making sure to put emphasis on the word "girlfriend" the reason why was beyond you.

She nodded slowly, Josh's behaviour proving to be a little bit abnormal. Who could blame her? She found a clip board and walked around the counter she was sat at before taking control of your wheel chair. You held on for dear life as the previous travel was very uncomfortable but the pace the nurse was going was actually very soothing.

She placed you into a room but as she turned to leave, you suddenly crumpled in pain, screaming out, she immediately turned back and made sure to sit you up straight. She assured you that a doctor would see to you soon before helping you get onto an examination table. The room got awfully silent though as she left the room, closing the door behind her.

"Well this is fun" you commented sarcastically making Josh laugh quietly.

"First the excitement in the birthing class now a trip to the hospital. I thought I'd escaped the drama when we broke up" his words had stung a little inside you. You never really brought drama into his life, only at the very end when he accused you of sleeping with Harry. The word "escape" was what hurt the most though. Did he really feel like he needed to escape you?

"I'm sorry. We can't all be boring. Life wouldn't be as exciting then would it?" You smiled softly at the ceiling, your hand grazing over you stomach. You were sad your baby was hurting, you were mad that you couldn't do anything. But most of all you were scared that they might not actually be okay. Early labours usually don't end well.

"That's true. You did bring a lot of laughter into situations like these" he reminisced as he looked out of the hospital window. The room had no lights on and relied on street lamps in the now dark car park for its visibility.

"I don't think we've ever been in a situation like this before" you giggled, Josh let out a sigh but couldn't hide the definite laughter within it.

"No I mean- you always knew how to make the bad situations bearable." You could feel his eyes on you but you daren't look back. The eye contact would've been more painful than the feeling in your stomach.

"Well, I usually do it because I'm nervous as well. Especially when you spring a relationship on me like that" you grinned. Josh groaned jokingly before muttering,

"Yeah about that-" he started but you waved him off, speaking over him to save him his painful explanation. You knew how awkward he felt in situations like that.

"Nah it's fine. I won't tell Melissa, I knew you only did it because they probably wouldn't have let you in here with me otherwise" your smile had faded as you remembered he still had Melissa. For a moment it felt like old times. For a moment you actually felt close to him. Moment over.

"Yeah. Melissa" his words were quiet. Almost incoherent. Part of you thought he might've felt the same way you'd felt when she was brought up. The other thought he was simply marvelling in the thought of her. The latter breaking your heart the most.

"Listen Y/N. About Melissa, I don't think I-" but his words were cut short as the doctor came bustling in.

"Hello Miss Y/L/N, I'm Dr. Harper, let's have a look at what's wrong"